Delta Flight Makes Emergency Landing at JFK After Bird Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta flight flying out of New York’s JFK Airport was forced to make an emergency landing after it struck a flock of birds shortly after takeoff Saturday morning.
Reports say the Denver-bound flight was scheduled to depart JFK at 8:05am. At about 8:20am, when the plane was 500 feet off the ground, the aircraft struck a flock of birds, which caused one of the engines to fail. The A319 then diverted back to JFK, where it was inspected by the Port Authority Police Department Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighter Unit.
Sat. 3/31/18, approx. 8:20 a.m., JFK Airport; Delta Flt. 2836, an Airbus 319, suffered a bird strike on takeoff. Aircraft returned to JFK, met & inspected by the #PAPD Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighter (ARFF) Unit. #PAPDPROTECTSNYNJ #ARFF #JFKAIRPORT pic.twitter.com/saYhXnuorq
— Port Authority PBA (@PAPD911) March 31, 2018
A Delta spokesperson told The New York Daily News that the plane landed safely and “taxied to the gate for maintenance evaluation.” There were no injuries reported among the aircraft’s 126 passengers, and all of the fliers were re-accommodated on another plane.
Featured image by TPG’s Alberto Riva.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.