Lufthansa Flight Turns Around After Encountering Bird Strike
A Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt (FRA) to Philadelphia (PHL) was forced to turn around after hitting a bird mid-flight on Thursday.
Two and a half hours into Lufthansa Flight 426, the A340-300 aircraft (registration D-AIGV) struck a bird and began encountering vibrations in two of its motors. The plane’s flight path shows the aircraft was just past Ireland when the pilots turned back for FRA.
— AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) March 29, 2018
A Lufthansa spokesperson said the plane landed safely back at FRA at 4:57pm local time. “There were 245 passengers and 10 crew members on board,” the spokesperson told TPG. “The passengers have been individually rebooked and also accommodated in a Frankfurt hotel.”
The Federal Aviation Administration estimates that at US airports, about 11,000 bird strikes occur per year.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.