Delta expands curb-to-gate biometric experience to domestic flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Getting through the airport is becoming a whole lot easier. Delta passengers flying domestically out Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) will soon be able to use their face to get them from curb to gate, and onto the plane.
Delta has been experimenting with biometric identity verification for a while now. In 2018, it opened America’s first biometric terminal in Atlanta (ATL), offering passengers the option to use facial recognition for the entire airport journey from self-service check-in kiosks, bag drop, TSA checkpoints, Sky Club access and boarding. It later expanded its use of facial recognition cameras for boarding international flights out of airports like Los Angeles (LAX) and Salt Lake City (SLC). However, up until now, it hasn’t been available for domestic passengers.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Starting in December, domestic Delta passengers will be able to use their passport number and TSA PreCheck or Global Entry membership as a digital ID to move through the Detroit airport. Participation is voluntary and Delta doesn’t save any biometric data.
To participate, you’ll need to store your passport information and TSA PreCheck Known Traveler Number in your SkyMiles profile. Then, opt into the program at check-in using the Delta’s mobile app. At the airport, you’ll simply need look into the camera at bag drop, the dedicated security checkpoint and at the boarding gate instead of presenting your ID and boarding pass. If you want to use the biometric entrance at Sky Clubs, you’ll need a CLEAR membership.
American Airlines and JetBlue have also begun playing around with biometric technology. However, both only use it for select international flights and only for boarding. Delta will be first airline to provide domestic passengers this touchless airport experience.
“When it comes to pulling forward the future of Delta’s customer experience, we think big, start small and scale fast, letting innovation lead the way as we continuously listen to customer feedback,” Bill Lentsch, Delta’s Chief Customer Experience Officer said in a statement. “The COVID-19 pandemic has only deepened the importance of providing a touchless experience for our customers. We plan to expand curb-to-gate facial recognition and digital ID beyond the Detroit test so that all of our customers can enjoy a seamless, touchless travel experience across our network.”
If you don’t already have a TSA PreCheck or Global Entry membership, you may be able to get one for free. Many credit cards now include a TSA PreCheck (or Global Entry) application fee credits, including the Chase Sapphire Reserve, The Platinum Card® from American Express and the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Featured image by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees