Delta Brings Optional Biometric Boarding to Two Additional Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Minneapolis and Salt Lake City will soon offer optional boarding by facial recognition on nonstop international flights flown with Delta and its partners. Atlanta’s Terminal E will be equipped with scanners to facilitate even more ticketless boarding in Delta’s hometown.
Delta confirmed with TPG that Atlanta’s Terminal E, Minneapolis and Salt Lake City will all be live at various points in July. It won’t be a hard switch; rather, Delta will install facial recognition equipment at one gate, and once tested and proven, more gates will be brought online until each gate is equipped.
I tested the service from end to end in Atlanta’s Terminal F, and you can read more on my experience here.
Delta worked with US Customs and Border Protection, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and the Transportation Security Administration to bring optional biometric boarding to international flights in Atlanta’s Terminal F in December of 2018. Now that the airline has had a few months to test and learn, the system is spreading to new locales.
The launch of biometric boarding is a first-of-its-kind experience for MSP and SLC. If you’re traveling out of either airport (as well as Terminals E and F in Atlanta), you’ll need to be ticketed on a nonstop international flight to take advantage. Delta flights are supported, as are those on SkyTeam partners Aeromexico, Air France-KLM and Virgin Atlantic.
Since launching in Atlanta’s Terminal F, Delta has commissioned third-party customer insight research to gather feedback from those experiencing the process for the first time. According to Delta, that research found that 72% prefer facial recognition to standard boarding. Moreover, just 2% of customers opted out of the process, though Delta makes clear that anyone uncomfortable with the notion of having their face scanned to board can use a traditional ticket instead.
Featured image by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees