Delta extends all tickets and vouchers through 2023 in an industry-leading move
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is giving travelers even more time to use new and existing flight credits.
The Atlanta-based carrier is extending all ticket validity through Dec. 31, 2023, as announced on Wednesday. Previously, the airline had extended expiring credits through the end of 2022, so this move gives all existing eCredit holders an additional year to rebook tickets. All rebooked travel must be completed by the end of 2024.
Additionally, all newly issued credits and vouchers for canceled flights will be valid through Dec. 31, 2023.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To summarize, that means:
- All tickets expiring in 2022 will now expire on Dec. 31, 2023
- All tickets purchased in 2022 will now expire on Dec. 31, 2023
Delta says that “it will take us some time to update our system,” but the airline is reassuring customers that all new and existing eCredits will be valid through 2023.
Separately, those who booked a Delta Vacations package will receive a one-year extension on any new or existing travel credit, with more details on these Vacations-specific extensions coming soon.
Delta’s move doesn’t mean you can get a refund for a canceled flight. Only flights that were canceled by Delta, as well as those with significant schedule changes, are eligible for a refund. If you voluntarily cancel a trip, the value of your ticket will be stored in an eCredit that must be used for future travel on Delta or its partners.
Delta’s Chief Customer Experience Officer Allison Ausband said in a statement that “this leading extension provides more time for customers to use their travel credits, so they can book with complete confidence that Delta has their back even when moments arise out of their control.”
In fact, this latest extension is by far the most generous of all the major U.S. airlines. Flight credit with American Airlines from travel voluntarily canceled during the COVID-19 pandemic waiver can be used for travel through March 31, 2022.
Meanwhile, United recently extended the validity of eligible tickets and travel credits through Dec. 31, 2022. Tickets purchased on or after Jan. 1, 2022, have a 12-month validity from the date of purchase.
Most Southwest travel funds expire one year from the ticket was purchased, though credits set to expire between March 1, 2020, and Sept. 7, 2020, previously qualified for an extension to Sept. 7, 2022.
It’s possible that Delta’s competitors may feel the pressure to match the industry-leading move, but either way, the update is sure to be welcome news for loyal Delta flyers.
In late 2020, Delta permanently removed change fees for all tickets originating in North America, except for those booked in the deep-discount basic economy cabin. Those tickets remain non-changeable and non-refundable.
When you’re ready to rebook a non-basic economy Delta flight, you can expect to pay an applicable fare difference, without the pesky $200 (or more) change fee that would’ve been levied pre-pandemic.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees