Delta to end a decade of service to Haiti
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines will end a decade of service to Haiti citing weak demand.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will operate its last flight between Atlanta (ATL) and Port-au-Prince (PAP) on Jan. 9, Delta confirmed and Cirium schedules show. The last flights will be operated with a Boeing 737-700.
Delta spokeswoman Susannah Thurston said the move is in response to a “soft demand environment.”
The airline has served Port-au-Prince since 2009 when it began flights between the Haitian capital and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), according to Cirium. Flights between Atlanta and Port-au-Prince began in 2012.
Delta last offered seasonal service between JFK and Port-au-Prince last winter, with those flights ending in April.
Four airlines — Air France, American Airlines, JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airlines — will serve Haiti from the U.S. after Delta’s exit. American serves Port-au-Prince from Miami (MIA); JetBlue from Boston (BOS), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), JFK and Orlando (MCO); and Spirit from Fort Lauderdale.
Air France offers a unique “fifth-freedom” flight — a route between two countries where an airline is not based — between Miami and Port-au-Prince.
Delta plans to grow system capacity by 3-4% year-over-year in 2020, executives said in October. Highlights of the growth will be the beginnings of its new strategic partnership with LATAM Airlines, as well as new markets like Mumbai (BOM) that launch in December.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.