Delta’s Launching Nonstop Flights From New York to Mumbai This Winter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is returning to India this winter. The airline announced Tuesday afternoon that, beginning in December, it will fly nonstop between its New York-JFK hub to Mumbai, India (BOM). With the new nonstop service between the United States and India, Delta will become the second US carrier to serve India.
Nonstop service from New York JFK to Mumbai begins on December 22nd. Delta will operate the new nonstop service with a retrofitted Boeing 777-200LR. The aircraft will feature the new Delta One Suites in business class and Premium Select in premium economy. In addition to both of Delta’s new premium products, the aircraft features Comfort+ and standard main cabin seating.
Delta will offer a daily round-trip flight. The service will operate year-round. The following table displays the scheduled flight times:
|Route||Departure Time||Arrival Time||Scheduled Flight Time|
|New York (JFK) to Mumbai (BOM)||9:15 PM||10:50 PM (+1 Day)||16:35 Hours|
|Mumbai (BOM) to New York (JFK)||12:50 AM||6:35 AM||14:45 Hours|
Delta previously served India beginning in 2006, from Atlanta, but ended the service in 2009. The airline claims that service between the US and India became “untenable” as a result of “illegally subsidized Middle East carriers.”
“Subsidies pose a serious threat to American workers. Every long-haul route lost or foregone to subsidized Middle East carrier competition costs more than 1,500 American jobs”, said Peter Carter, Delta’s Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer in the airline’s official press release. Delta, American and United say that some Middle Eastern airlines compete unfairly. Other airlines, including some US-based ones, dispute that.
Delta’s Vice President and Chief Legal Officer also claimed that the new service between the United States and India was made possible by “landmark agreements the Trump administration reached with Qatar and the U.A.E.”
Delta’s CEO Ed Bastian further praised the president of the United States saying in a press release that, “This route would not be possible without the administration’s ongoing efforts to enforce fair competition in international travel, ensuring that consumers enjoy a wide range of choices as they travel the globe.”
With the airline’s new service, Delta will join United and Air India in serving India from New York City.
While flight schedules were made available, Delta has yet to release tickets for the new flights from New York to Mumbai. The airline’s official press release did not include a timeline of when flights will be added to the Delta’s schedule or when tickets will be available for purchase.
Featured image by Mint Images / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees