Delta orders 30 more Airbus A321neos featuring its new first class seats, bringing its total order to 155
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines said Tuesday that it had placed firm orders for 30 additional A321neo aircraft with Airbus, adding to its existing orders with the European planemaker.
The order comes as a follow-up to an order announced in April for 25 of the A321neo jets, along with an additional 25 options — the newest announcement converts those options into firm orders.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Delta now has a total of 155 A321neos on order, with options for 95 more.
The current order also follows an agreement Delta announced in July to purchase 29 used Boeing 737-900ER narrow-body jets (along with leases for seven used Airbus A350-900s).
The A321neo fleet will be the first to feature Delta’s new domestic first-class seat, which will feature a memory foam cushion, increased privacy, extra storage and a larger tray table compared to the current domestic first seats.
The new planes will feature 20 first-class seats, 42 Comfort+ extra-legroom seats, and 132 seats in main cabin for a total capacity of 194 passengers.
Delta currently operates 121 Airbus A321neo aircraft, the previous generation. Those aircraft seat 191 passengers, with 20 first-class seats, just 29 Comfort+ seats, and 142 seats in the main cabin.
The airline said it expects to take delivery of its first A321neo in the first half of 2022. The aircraft were initially expected to begin arriving in late-2020. However, the coronavirus pandemic has led to delays across supply chains and manufacturers, while diminished travel demand has made airlines reluctant to take too many deliveries until travel begins to pick back up.
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees