Coronavirus update: United Airlines extends China flight cancellations into April
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is canceling more flights to China as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread.
The airline will suspend operations from U.S. airports to Beijing, Chengdu and Shanghai in mainland China and to Hong Kong until April 24. Previously, United’s flights to Hong Kong were canceled between Feb. 8 and Feb. 20, and its flights to mainland China through March 28.
In a Wednesday statement, United said it will continue monitoring the outbreak and working with the CDC and other public health experts.
The airline added it would provide affected customers with rebooking options or refunds if they choose not to reschedule their travel. It also said its crews are “trained and ready to respond to any passenger who may become ill in flight,” and added that aircraft used for international operations have their hard surfaces wiped down with disinfectant between every flight.
United Airlines is the largest U.S. carrier to China, and it is working on redeploying some of the planes that serve those routes on other services, TPG’s Edward Russell reported earlier this month.
American and Delta have also both suspended flights to China, and Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific has temporarily slashed its network to mainland China by 90% in response to reduced demand resulting from fears over the virus.
Featured photo by GREG BAKER/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.