American Airlines extends China, Hong Kong suspensions to April
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will not resume flights to Beijing, Hong Kong or Shanghai until late April as it continues to see weak demand for flights to the region amid fears of the coronavirus outbreak.
The Oneworld alliance carrier now plans to resume flights between its Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) base and Hong Kong (HKG) on April 23, and on its remaining flights between Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles (LAX) and Beijing Capital (PEK), Hong Kong and Shanghai Pudong (PVG) the next day, American said Tuesday. The airline offers a single daily flight on each route with a combination of Boeing 777 and 787 aircraft.
American suspended flights to Beijing and Shanghai on Jan. 31, and to Hong Kong on Feb. 4. It had planned to resume the Beijing, Shanghai and Los Angeles-Hong Kong routes on March 27, and the Dallas-Hong Kong route on Feb. 20.
All three major U.S. carriers have suspended service to Hong Kong and China. United Airlines has suspended Hong Kong service through Feb. 20 and mainland China flights through March 28, and Delta Air Lines all service through April 30.
The suspensions are adding up. All airlines combined have cancelled 3,434 flights between China and the U.S. through March 31 — not including American’s latest extension — according to Cirium schedule data.
The moves have prompted questions over what airlines will do with their idled planes. American, Delta and United have all told analysts that they plan some limited swapping where wide-bodies that would have flown to China will take over select flights from smaller jets. Minor maintenance works and using the planes as spares to the support other flights are also options.=
American may take things a step further and suspend flights between Los Angeles and China for the foreseeable future if demand fails to recover, airline executives told Evercore analysts on Feb. 6. Such a move would see the airline essentially forgo — at least for now — its dream of building a gateway to Asia at LAX.
American is the smallest U.S. carrier to mainland China with only four daily flights. Flights to the country represented just 1.8% of its system capacity in 2019, compared to 2.7% at Delta and 4.1% at United, Cirium schedules show.
Featured image by studioEAST/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees