This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a couple of weeks after American Express Membership Rewards points launched a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Citi ThankYou Points is matching the offer. Now through June 22, you can get 30% more Flying Club miles when transferring Citi ThankYou Points.
ThankYou Point members typically get a 1:1 transfer ratio, meaning you’ll typically get 1,000 Flying Club miles for transferring 1,000 ThankYou Points. However, during this transfer bonus, you’ll get 1,300 miles instead for each increment of 1,000 points.
Note that you must transfer increments of 1,000 Citi ThankYou Points, so you’ll need to round up to the next 1,000 points when determining how many points you need to transfer for an award.
This means that you can now book all of the same sweet spot awards, but you have a choice of transferring either Amex points, Citi points or a mixture of both. Those sweet spots include:
- 16,000 Amex or Citi points for Delta economy to Hawaii
- 18,000 Amex or Citi points for Delta first class intra-US — including transcontinental Delta One routes
- 20,000 Amex or Citi points for South African Airways business class from DC to Senegal
- 29,000 Amex or Citi points for Delta first class to Hawaii
- 39,000 Amex or Citi points for Delta business class from the US to Europe
- 47,000 Amex or Citi points for Delta business class from the US to Asia
- 54,000 Amex or Citi points for ANA business class round-trip between Honolulu and Japan
- 70,000 Amex or Citi points for ANA business class round-trip between mainland US and Japan
- 70,000 Amex or Citi points for ANA first class round-trip between Honolulu and Japan
- 85,000 Amex or Citi points for ANA first class round-trip between mainland US and Japan
If you aren’t sure whether to transfer American Express Membership Rewards points or Citi ThankYou Points to get enough Virgin Atlantic miles for an award, this is where TPG valuations can come in handy. Thanks to a broader set of valuable transfer partners, TPG values Amex MR points at 2.0 cents per point and Citi TY points at just 1.7 cents per point.
However, your individual situation may mean that it’s better to transfer Amex MR points instead. Say you’re able to produce a ton of Amex points through the 5x points earning on airfare when booked directly with the airline or American Express Travel with the The Platinum Card® from American Express or your small business maxes out the 2x earnings on everyday spending on the The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express (up to $50,000; then 1x). If you don’t have a way of earning a lot of Citi points, it’d make more sense to transfer Amex points instead.
If you need a card that earns ThankYou Points, here are the best options right now:
- Citi Prestige Card: 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months
- Citi Premier Card : 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening.
Citi Rewards+ Card: 15,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
Citi Rewards+ Student Card: 2,500 bonus points after you spend $500 in purchases within 3 months of account opening
- AT&T Access Card from Citi: 10,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards