Cathay Pacific trims San Francisco and D.C. capacity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific Airways is trimming capacity to the U.S. this winter, with San Francisco and Washington seeing reductions.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will reduce capacity to San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD) by shifting to smaller aircraft on both routes this winter. One of the airline’s three daily flights to San Francisco will shift to an Airbus A350-900 with 280 seats from a Boeing 777-300ER with up to 294 seats, according to Cirium schedules. After the change, Cathay Pacific will offer two A350s and one 777 daily to San Francisco.
In addition, Cathay Pacific will shift its four weekly Dulles flights to an A350-900 from an A350-1000 with 334 seats, Cirium shows.
Cathay Pacific told TPG that it will maintain 25 weekly flights to New York John F. Kennedy through the winter.
Cathay Pacific’s capacity reductions are just its latest response to a drop in demand to Hong Kong since protests began last year. In November, Reuters reported that the airline would cut capacity by 1.4% in 2020 rather than a previously planned 3.1% increase.
That disclosure followed the September news that the airline would end its long-standing fifth-freedom flight between New York JFK and Vancouver (YVR) enroute to Hong Kong this March.
The story has been updated to remove references to a reduction in frequencies to New York JFK in Cathay Pacific’s winter schedule.
Featured image by Vivek Prakash/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.