Cathay Pacific trims San Francisco and D.C. capacity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific Airways is trimming capacity to the U.S. this winter, with San Francisco and Washington seeing reductions.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will reduce capacity to San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD) by shifting to smaller aircraft on both routes this winter. One of the airline’s three daily flights to San Francisco will shift to an Airbus A350-900 with 280 seats from a Boeing 777-300ER with up to 294 seats, according to Cirium schedules. After the change, Cathay Pacific will offer two A350s and one 777 daily to San Francisco.
In addition, Cathay Pacific will shift its four weekly Dulles flights to an A350-900 from an A350-1000 with 334 seats, Cirium shows.
Cathay Pacific told TPG that it will maintain 25 weekly flights to New York John F. Kennedy through the winter.
Cathay Pacific’s capacity reductions are just its latest response to a drop in demand to Hong Kong since protests began last year. In November, Reuters reported that the airline would cut capacity by 1.4% in 2020 rather than a previously planned 3.1% increase.
That disclosure followed the September news that the airline would end its long-standing fifth-freedom flight between New York JFK and Vancouver (YVR) enroute to Hong Kong this March.
The story has been updated to remove references to a reduction in frequencies to New York JFK in Cathay Pacific’s winter schedule.
Featured image by Vivek Prakash/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.