Cathay Pacific trims San Francisco and D.C. capacity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific Airways is trimming capacity to the U.S. this winter, with San Francisco and Washington seeing reductions.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will reduce capacity to San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD) by shifting to smaller aircraft on both routes this winter. One of the airline’s three daily flights to San Francisco will shift to an Airbus A350-900 with 280 seats from a Boeing 777-300ER with up to 294 seats, according to Cirium schedules. After the change, Cathay Pacific will offer two A350s and one 777 daily to San Francisco.
In addition, Cathay Pacific will shift its four weekly Dulles flights to an A350-900 from an A350-1000 with 334 seats, Cirium shows.
Cathay Pacific told TPG that it will maintain 25 weekly flights to New York John F. Kennedy through the winter.
Cathay Pacific’s capacity reductions are just its latest response to a drop in demand to Hong Kong since protests began last year. In November, Reuters reported that the airline would cut capacity by 1.4% in 2020 rather than a previously planned 3.1% increase.
That disclosure followed the September news that the airline would end its long-standing fifth-freedom flight between New York JFK and Vancouver (YVR) enroute to Hong Kong this March.
The story has been updated to remove references to a reduction in frequencies to New York JFK in Cathay Pacific’s winter schedule.
Featured image by Vivek Prakash/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees