These Are the Caribbean Destinations You’ll Want to Visit ASAP
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One year following the 17 severe hurricanes that hit the Caribbean, the tourism industry seems to be well on its way to recovery. And according to Airbnb, booking numbers are way up.
Based on data Airbnb collected up to September 2018 and measured against future bookings made by guests from November 2018 to March 2019, the accommodation service has created a list of the most frequently booked locations in the Caribbean. According to Airbnb, cities such as Charlotte Amalie in the US Virgin Islands are up 600% in bookings. San Juan, Puerto Rico comes at a pretty close second with a 400% increase as well.
The top 5 Caribbean vacation spots that are once again trending are:
1. US Virgin Islands
2. Puerto Rico
3. Cayman Islands
4. Antigua and Barbuda
The information released by Airbnb shows that the Caribbean, a hurricane-prone area, is recovering and open to tourists. In January, the TPG team visited Puerto Rico in an effort to bring awareness to the island and its tourism industry.
Included with the data, Airbnb has also released the most “wish-listed” homes in the Caribbean at a wide range of price points. This includes a beachfront villa in the Cayman Islands (going for about $99 a night per person) and an ocean-view bungalow by Flamenco Beach in Puerto Rico ($71).
Featured image by David Rogers via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.