A Look at Team TPG’s Weekend to Help Rebuild Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel can have much more significance than just seeing new places. Last weekend, the TPG team and some special guests used travel for something much greater than simply seeing a new place — to bring good to Puerto Rico, an island devastated by Hurricane Maria. This trip had far greater meaning most trips that we’ve been on previously.
We teamed with the Puerto Rico Tourism Company (@seepuertorico) for a weekend filled with giving back, helping out and learning that the island is still there for tourists. Not only is Puerto Rico as a destination open for business, but its doors are wide open.
The TPG team flew from our respective locations — New York, Tampa or Miami — to San Juan (SJU). Disclaimer: We partnered with JetBlue to fly most of the team to Puerto Rico. The airline has played a vital role in helping to restore the island as part of its 100 days of caring for Puerto Rico initiative.
As TPG staffer JT Genter points out in his post on his heartfelt return to the island, normalcy is certainly making its way back to the island and the lives of its people. And our first sign of that came on Saturday, as the team made our way to Juana Díaz for a Three Kings Day parade.
Throughout the parade was a feeling of optimism from the people of the small town, as perfectly displayed by a “Don’t let Hurricane Maria take away your happiness” sign.
Following the parade, the team headed back toward our base at the La Concha Resort in San Juan, but first we stopped at the Puerto Rico Children’s Hospital in Bayamón. Like some other things on the island, the signage to the hospital was battered, but inside, spirits were high for Three Kings Day. For those not familiar, the popular holiday is a huge gift-giving day for children. The TPG team made our way through the hospital, distributing gifts to children. It was an experience many of us will never forget.
The following day was a rebuild day. The colorful La Perla neighborhood of San Juan, which you might know from the “Despacito” music video, was badly damaged during Hurricane Maria. At the time of our visit, just about four months after Maria made landfall, several homes were still without roofs, and the once-picturesque beach was littered with trash.
It was time to get dirty. The team split up: half pitched in to clean the beach, and the other half helped to rebuild a roof for a La Perla resident.
The entire weekend was incredibly moving. Not only were we able to see first-hand the recovery efforts in Puerto Rico, but we were also able to help out. If there’s one thing for certain, it’s that the island is ready and open for tourists to come and spend money there.
That being said, there is still a long road ahead for the island. If you’re looking to get involved in the recovery efforts, we recommend checking out @SeePuertoRico’s Facebook page for updates on upcoming rebuild days, or reach out to the amazing hosts of our La Perla rebuild day, Local Guest. Additionally, you can still donate to help in the recovery effort.
It is hard to put into words how life changing this past weekend in Puerto Rico was. I was lucky to be able to take a majority of TPG employees and work with @seepuertorico, @ketchumpr and @jetblue to bring some incredible influencers who donated their time to bring awareness to Puerto Rico (it’s safe and FUN to visit!), visit the Bayamon Children’s hospital on Three Kings Day and help clean up La Perla neighborhood. Travel is meaningful when you can actually meet locals, make a difference and have some FUN! While Puerto Rico still has a lot of rebuilding to do, I learned one thing for sure- the people of Puerto Rico are resilient and will never be defined by any storm. ??❤️?? @lejuanjames @camilaainc @lemomjames @erubes1 @lesleyannemurphy @phiphiohara @theplanetd @beccaden @jri2 @cgccampos
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@thepointsguy) on
We will be following up with posts soon on the top reasons to visit Puerto Rico, the best ways to fly there and how to get there on points and miles. Stay tuned for those. For now, consider helping the recovery in Puerto Rico by vacationing there in 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees