Canada plans to reopen to American tourists by mid-August, other countries by September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The move to reopen Canada to Americans for leisure reasons would mark a major step in the reopening of the border between the two nations, which has largely remained shut since March 2020.
However, in order for Canada to reopen its borders to Americans, it’s reliant upon the continuation of its successful vaccination rollout program. Additionally, confirmed COVID-19 cases within the country remaining should remain at already-low levels in order for Trudeau to considering reopening borders with America.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Trudeau told premiers on Thursday that government officials from both countries were in talks to open the land border to tourists. When the border does reopen, Canada will first welcome U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are fully vaccinated before reopening to vaccinated travelers from other countries in September.
“Canada would be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September,” a statement from a teleconference between Trudeau and leaders within the country detailed.
Last month, the U.S. and Canada agreed to extend a ban on non-essential crossings between the two countries for another 30-day period — until 21 July. There’s a chance that date could be delayed once again.
Earlier this month, Canada made the first move in easing restrictions — but only for Canadians. As of July 5, Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have been fully vaccinated can skip mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival into Canada. Additionally, those entering by air no longer need to spend their first three days in the country at a government-approved hotel.
“We all love to accelerate the processes, but we are going to be grounded in what is safe, grounded in science, because it would be catastrophic and heartbreaking to go back into lockdown as some countries are now looking at given surges in the Delta variant,” Trudeau said earlier this week.
First Ministers in Canada supported Trudeau’s planning to reopen to fully vaccinated American tourists by mid-August.
Canada has maintained that it would ease border restrictions after 75% of its residents have been fully vaccinated. To date, about 70% of Canadians have received one dose of a vaccine. About 46% of the population is fully vaccinated.
Featured photo by Dave Chan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees