California college offering students cash to skip spring break
With pandemic fatigue setting in and spring break fast approaching, one university is taking a novel approach to encourage students to stay safe and not travel.
UC Davis, the third-largest school in the California university system, is partnering with the city of Davis to offer students $75 if they choose to stay in Davis for spring break, scheduled for March 22–26. This comes as public health officials worry about a possible spike in COVID-19 cases if people get careless and don’t practice social distancing. Images of huge crowds of college students partying at traditional spring break hot spots like Fort Lauderdale, Florida, have only heightened concerns of superspreader events.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Students have until March 10 to apply for the money, which is known as the Spring Break Grant. Only the first 750 qualified applicants will get the money, which could be used at certain businesses in the Northern California city during Spring break week. The incentive payment comes as Davis’ Yolo County enters “red tier” status in California’s pandemic reopening plan. This stage means certain businesses have been allowed to reopen, and restaurants have been able to resume indoor dining.
The CDC’s just-announced guidelines for what activities people who are fully vaccinated can do offered some optimism that we could soon be “returning to normal.” Those who have gotten the vaccine can gather indoors with other vaccinated people without masks. However, the CDC is still cautioning against travel, even if you have been fully vaccinated. That decision led one health expert to say it defied common sense.
Even though Florida has been “open for business” for some time – Orlando theme parks such as Walt Disney World and Universal Studios have been open for months, unlike their California counterparts — the pandemic has still been devastating for its tourism industry.
The Sunshine State generated $91 billion from visitors as recently as 2018, but officials estimate it lost billions last year due to the pandemic. This year, Miami tourism officials spent $5 million on its largest national advertising campaign in two decades, hoping to get visitors to return to its beaches, bars and restaurants.
Still, some universities continue to look for ways to keep their students from putting themselves at risk. While paying students to skip spring break is far from the norm, some universities have taken other measures to protect students from possibly putting themselves in harm’s way. Schools like Texas A&M and the University of Alabama either shortened spring break or got rid of it altogether.
Featured image by Joseph DeSantis/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees