CDC says fully vaccinated people can gather indoors without masks
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new guidelines on Monday about what Americans who are fully vaccinated can do.
People who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may now visit indoors with other fully vaccinated people (or with unvaccinated people who are low-risk for COVID-19), without wearing masks or social distancing. People who have been fully vaccinated can also avoid quarantine and testing if they’ve been exposed to COVID-19 but remain asymptomatic.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The CDC says these guidelines apply to people who have had both two-dose vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) or a one-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson), and it’s been two weeks after they received the last dose.
But if you’re a traveler hoping for travel guidelines to be relaxed, those requirements have not changed. The CDC still advises people to put off travel for now and recommends that people who are traveling should get tested for COVID-19 before and after the trip, and quarantine for at least seven days after returning home. Additionally, all travelers flying to the United States need to provide proof of a negative coronavirus test before boarding. Travelers who have been vaccinated are not exempt.
Over 30 million people in the United States having received two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccinations, which is just under 10% of the population.
Last month, the CDC updated its guidelines to say fully vaccinated people would no longer be required to quarantine after being exposed to someone with COVID-19 if they meet all the criteria.
To meet these criteria, a person must be fully vaccinated, be within three months following receipt of the last dose in the series and have remained asymptomatic since exposure. But even if you choose to skip quarantine, the CDC still recommends following current guidance and monitoring for signs of COVID-19.
Featured photo by Tami Chappell/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees