You Can Buy This Village in New Zealand for a Cool $1.8 Million
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Missed your chance to buy this island off the coast of England? No problem. Now an entire abandoned village is up for sale in New Zealand. And at just $1.8 million, it’s a steal. (No seriously, that’s less than the average New York City apartment.)
Lake Waitaki Village on New Zealand’s South Island — renowned for its lakes, mountains and glaciers — was built in the 1930s as housing for laborers working on the Waitaki Dam. When the dam became automated in the late ’80s, the village was abandoned and it’s remained that way ever since.
The 35-acre village comprises a 6,404 square-foot main lodge with owner’s accommodations, a reception area, lounge and billiards room. Surrounding it are eight three-bedroom houses and a 969 square-foot cafe and bar with a full commercial kitchen. Oh, and did we mention there’s a nine-car garage? Sure, the décor leaves a lot to be desired (you’ll probably want to rip out the dated carpet), but the setting on the edge of a glittering blue lake has plenty of potential.
The listing touts the area’s scenic beauty, saying “the area’s tourism potential is only recently starting to be realised with the opening of the Alps to Ocean (A2O) cycle trail bringing many new visitors to the region.”
Still, no need to worry about overtourism here. The closest town of Oamaru — home to two penguin colonies and the country’s oldest public gardens — is a 50-minute drive away.
The catch? New Zealand’s parliament recently passed a law prohibiting foreigners from buying existing property in the country, a reaction to soaring real estate prices being driven up by foreign investors.
“If you’ve got the right to live in New Zealand permanently, you’ve got the right to buy here,” Trade Minister David Parker said, according to CNN. “We believe it’s the birthright of New Zealanders to buy homes in New Zealand,” he added.
Feature image courtesy of Trade Me Limited.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees