Business Suites Will Replace First-Class Cabin on Asiana Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Shortly after Asiana stopped selling tickets for its first-class cabins on all flights after August 31, the South Korean carrier announced on Tuesday that new “Business Suites” will replace its former first-class product. It appwars, however, that these will be the same seats, but with a different name and a lower standard of service.
Asiana only offered first class on its Airbus A380s, so the new Business Suites will be only available on routes the super-jumbos fly, which include flights between Seoul’s Incheon Airport and Los Angeles, New York JFK and Frankfurt.
As TPG‘s Max Prosperi reports, Asiana’s six A380s feature 12 first class suites. They are among the roomiest in the sky, featuring 83 inches of seat pitch, a massive 32-inch seatback entertainment screen, and a sliding door for privacy. Luckily, it seems the seats won’t be changing, but the level of service on board will shift when the new business class takes effect on September 1.
A diagram of the Business Suites shows that it will still be 12 seats in the same configuration as its first class. One Mile at a Time reports that the business class will retain the same first-class seats with doors, but now it is branded as a business product. Mileage earning, onboard catering and baggage allowances, however, will all shift to current business class levels.
Additionally, flyers in Business Suites will still have access to the Asiana First Class Lounge at Incheon Airport.
Beginning September 1, the only way to fly in a dedicated first-class cabin nonstop from the United States to South Korea will be aboard Korean Air. The airline recently cut first class from dozens of short international routes, but keeps it on long haul.
Featured photo by TPG staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees