Asiana Airlines Will Stop Selling First Class After Aug. 31
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Asiana Airlines, South Korea’s second-largest airline, has stopped selling first class on all flights after Aug. 31st, 2019. This move comes as airlines worldwide cut first class from their planes in favor of larger, more premium business-class cabins. Asiana is among a growing list of airlines eliminating first class cabins; it had already eliminated first class from all aircraft with the exception of the Airbus A380s.
Effective September 1st, Asiana Airlines — which is a member of Star Alliance along with United — will no longer sell first class on any route. The last date for which you can book a seat in first class is Saturday, Aug. 31, 2019. The following day, that same flight from los Angeles to Seoul on the A380 shows first class as zeroed-out on ExpertFlyer.
A popular option for travelers looking to redeem miles for trans-Pacific first class is using United MileagePlus. The last date on which United MileagePlus displays award availability for Asiana first class is August 28th. Following September 1st, the United award search engine no longer shows any Asiana first-class availability.
Asiana’s six A380s feature 12 first class suites. They are among the roomiest in the sky, featuring 83 inches of seat pitch, a massive 32-inch seatback entertainment screen, and a sliding door for privacy.
Following August 31st, the only way to fly in a dedicated first class cabin nonstop from the United States to South Korea will be aboard Korean Air. However, Korean Air recently cut first class from dozens of international routes.
Booking Asiana Airlines First Class Suites
If Asiana Airlines first class is on your bucket list, you still have a few months to try out the product. Cash fares are available nearly every day up until September 1st. One-way cash fares from the United States start at $6,160 while fares from South Korea start at $3,675. Asiana Airlines first class can be booked with miles earned with United’s MileagePlus program. One-way United first class awards on Asiana start at 120,000 miles. Flights that feature the airline’s first class suite include Seoul (ICN) to Frankfurt (FRA), Los Angeles (LAX), and New York (JFK).
Asiana First Class Suites Cash Fares
Asiana First Class Suites Mileage Availability via United:
Asiana’s decision to stop selling first class on its remaining flights featuring the premium cabin is a huge loss to the trans-Pacific market. While Asiana’s business class is by no means underwhelming, the airline’s first class suites were arguably one of the best options across the Pacific.
Featured photo of an Asiana A380 at LAX by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees