Budget Carrier Sun Country Lowers Its Change Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sun Country Airlines will now allow passengers to change or cancel flights for free with at least 60 days advance notice. The decision mirrors a similar move last year by Frontier Airlines to allow free changes when made more than 90 days in advance.
For Minnesota-based Sun Country, the new fee structure also allows travelers to change flights for $50 per passenger, each way, for changes made between 14 and 59 days before departure. The charge increases to $100 within the final two weeks before travel.
Sun Country says the change is part of an effort to update to the carrier’s customer experience and make booking trips in advance less stressful for passengers.
“We are excited to offer this flexibility to our guests as they start thinking about their holiday and spring break travel,” said Sun Country CEO Jude Bricker, “”and we hope these changes will provide peace of mind to our guests that they have options if plans change.”
Previously, Sun Country charged $60 on changes made more than 60 days in advance and $120 per person, per direction, for changes made within 60 days, according to the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.
Sun Country has been revamping its business model, transitioning from a small niche carrier into full-fledged low-cost carrier.
Featured photo by JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees