Budget Carrier Sun Country Lowers Its Change Fees
Sun Country Airlines will now allow passengers to change or cancel flights for free with at least 60 days advance notice. The decision mirrors a similar move last year by Frontier Airlines to allow free changes when made more than 90 days in advance.
For Minnesota-based Sun Country, the new fee structure also allows travelers to change flights for $50 per passenger, each way, for changes made between 14 and 59 days before departure. The charge increases to $100 within the final two weeks before travel.
Sun Country says the change is part of an effort to update to the carrier’s customer experience and make booking trips in advance less stressful for passengers.
“We are excited to offer this flexibility to our guests as they start thinking about their holiday and spring break travel,” said Sun Country CEO Jude Bricker, “”and we hope these changes will provide peace of mind to our guests that they have options if plans change.”
Previously, Sun Country charged $60 on changes made more than 60 days in advance and $120 per person, per direction, for changes made within 60 days, according to the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.
Sun Country has been revamping its business model, transitioning from a small niche carrier into full-fledged low-cost carrier.
Featured photo by JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.