Budget Carrier Sun Country Lowers Its Change Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sun Country Airlines will now allow passengers to change or cancel flights for free with at least 60 days advance notice. The decision mirrors a similar move last year by Frontier Airlines to allow free changes when made more than 90 days in advance.
For Minnesota-based Sun Country, the new fee structure also allows travelers to change flights for $50 per passenger, each way, for changes made between 14 and 59 days before departure. The charge increases to $100 within the final two weeks before travel.
Sun Country says the change is part of an effort to update to the carrier’s customer experience and make booking trips in advance less stressful for passengers.
“We are excited to offer this flexibility to our guests as they start thinking about their holiday and spring break travel,” said Sun Country CEO Jude Bricker, “”and we hope these changes will provide peace of mind to our guests that they have options if plans change.”
Previously, Sun Country charged $60 on changes made more than 60 days in advance and $120 per person, per direction, for changes made within 60 days, according to the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.
Sun Country has been revamping its business model, transitioning from a small niche carrier into full-fledged low-cost carrier.
Featured photo by JT Genter / The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees