Bringit Launches Uber-Like Service for Your Luggage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If traveling light isn’t really your style and you’re tired of schlepping your luggage back and forth between the airport, home and hotel, you might have a new option. Bringit, who bills itself as an on-demand luggage delivery service, has launched in Miami. The company will be expanding to New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) and JFK as well as Los Angeles (LAX) later this year.
For a fee of $25 the service will pick up your bags — up to two — and deliver them to the airport, home or any destination you choose within a 10-mile radius of the airport. Additional bags are $5 and if you’re outside the 10-mile radius you’ll be charged an extra $1 per mile. Much like the Uber business model, the company is using a fleet of independent car owners to build a network to move your luggage.
According to the company’s website, the luggage, which gets “tagged, controlled and tracked,” is sealed in a reusable recyclable plastic bag, which has a QR code for tracking. Customers will be able to track their luggage in real time via the app or get updates via text message. Each bag is insured for up to $1,500 if it is lost, stolen or damaged.
While this service might not appeal to everyone, there are some situations where this could really come in handy. If you were flying into JFK, you could much more easily take the train from the airport into the city sans-luggage, all for less than $8. If you opt for a taxi because of bulky bags, the flat fee for a cab ride from JFK according to the NYC Taxi Commission starts at $52, plus any tolls, additional fees and surcharges. Booking Bringit ($25) and jumping on the train instead would mean having an extra $19 in your pocket.
Turns out a trip to NYC is what inspired founder Israel Arellano to create the service. “On a business trip in NYC I noticed people lugging their baggage down Times Square, and asked myself, ‘with today’s technology, why are we still traveling with our bags like we did 100 years ago?”
Hassle aside, travelers have the option to fly in earlier and leave later without having to worry about dealing with your luggage before or after checkout, which would let you maximize the time you have to enjoy the destination or snag better fares for your air travel without dealing with the logistics of your luggage. While most hotels in NYC have baggage checks which allow you to store your baggage before or after checkout, if you are staying in an Airbnb or VBRO property you might not have that option. Using the service would also mean you don’t have to stop off at your hotel to unload your stuff before you hit the city or pick up your bags on the way to the airport.
Currently customers can book the service via Bringit’s website. When the service launches in New York, the company will also be releasing a mobile app for Android and iOS. After adding LGA, JFK and LAX, the company plans to continue its expansion to 10 more cities by 2021.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees