This cruise line will now let you book a cabin in a crew area
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Call it the ultimate in behind-the-scenes access.
In what is believed to be a first, Windstar Cruises unveiled a new suite on one of its ships this week that’s within a crew-only area.
The new Officer’s Suite, found on the line’s 342-passenger Wind Surf, is just behind the ship’s bridge in a section of the vessel reserved for officer’s quarters.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Labeled “crew only,” the area is home to cabins for the ship’s captain, chief officer, hotel manager and chief engineer.
Windstar said it believed the new accommodation was the only one of its kind in the cruise industry. Personally, I don’t recall seeing anything like it, either, in my many years writing about cruising. Cruise lines typically are very restrictive about access to crew areas on ships.
Among the perks of the new suite is the ability to walk right into the ship’s bridge, which is just steps away. Windstar is one of a handful of major lines that has an open bridge policy. Sea Cloud Cruises, Quark Expeditions, Star Clippers and UnCruise Adventures are among other small ship and expedition lines with similar policies.
Under Windstar’s open bridge policy, passengers can visit ship bridges and chat with officers while vessels are underway (access sometimes will be limited when ships are in the midst of tricky maneuvers).
The new Officer’s Suite is one of the bigger cabins on Wind Surf at 242 square feet. It has a bedroom, full bath with Jacuzzi tub and living room with a widescreen television.
It also has a bit of a nautical theme, with such maritime decor as a sextant, a Wind Surf print and a model of a sailing ship.
You can also grab a pair of binoculars from the room, in case you want to help the captain scan the horizon for obstacles.
“We [designed] this very unique suite with more of a nautical theme to reflect its exclusive location, tucked away just behind the bridge,” Windstar president John Delaney said in a statement accompanying the announcement.
The addition of the suite came during a recent overhaul of Wind Surf, a five-masted sailing ship. Wind Surf is one of three sailing ships operated by Windstar. The line specializes in small ships and also operates three motor vessels. The Wind Surf overhaul included a revamp of every single cabin and public space on the ship.
Planning a cruise for 2020? Our planning guide starts here:
- The 8 most exciting new ocean ships of 2020
- The 7 most exciting new river ships of 2020
- 6 new cruise itineraries you should book right now
- The best cruise lines for solo travelers
- Comparing Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean for families
- 5 cruise lines to try if you just can’t stand being around kids on vacation
Featured image courtesy of Windstar Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees