Historic female-led cruise will set sail on International Women’s Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Celebrity Cruises is aiming to make history with the first sailing with an all-female bridge and officer team on International Women’s History Day. The historic cruise, which sets sail on March 8, 2020, features an entirely female bridge and hotel officer team as part of the cruise line’s “Bridge the Gap” initiative.
On the seven-day cruise, passengers will experience a speaker’s series, networking opportunities, film and documentary screenings aimed at inspiring girls and women to pursue careers in the maritime field. Captain Kate McCue, the first American female cruise ship captain, will be at the helm. Twenty-seven women from over a dozen different countries will serve on the first all-female bridge and hotel officer crew.
Just two percent of mariners around the world are women, according to the cruise line.
The initiative is just one of several in recent years honoring women in the travel sector. In July, United sent a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner staffed by women only from Chicago (ORD) to the EAA AirVenture air show in Oshkosh (OSH), as a symbol of the company’s support of women in aviation. The all-female crew was joined by nearly 100 United female employees in areas including Airport Operations, Inflight Services, Flight Operations, Technical Operations, Network Operations and more.
In honor of International Women’s Day 2018, Emirates operated a flight with an all-female crew from Dubai to San Francisco, from the cockpit crew to cabin crew, check-in staff to the ground operators. In 2017, Air India became the first airline to complete a round-the-world trip with an entirely female crew. Flight AI 174 flew from New Delhi (DEL) to San Francisco over the Pacific Ocean and back to Delhi over the Atlantic.
If you’re interested in taking this historic cruise (or any other Celebrity Cruises trip) there is an Amex Offer available that’ll let you score a ton of Membership Rewards points for putting your purchase on the right credit card. The 15,000 bonus points offer is worth $200, according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Celebrity Cruises is offering 15,000 Membership Rewards points after spending at least $500 on purchases from now until December 31, 2019. You must book directly at celebrity.com/amex or by phone to take advantage of the offer. Meeting this spending requirement shouldn’t be too difficult, as I’m seeing an inside stateroom aboard the Celebrity Edge departing from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., starting at just $929 per person for two people.
Featured image courtesy of Celebrity Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees