Historic female-led cruise will set sail on International Women’s Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Celebrity Cruises is aiming to make history with the first sailing with an all-female bridge and officer team on International Women’s History Day. The historic cruise, which sets sail on March 8, 2020, features an entirely female bridge and hotel officer team as part of the cruise line’s “Bridge the Gap” initiative.
On the seven-day cruise, passengers will experience a speaker’s series, networking opportunities, film and documentary screenings aimed at inspiring girls and women to pursue careers in the maritime field. Captain Kate McCue, the first American female cruise ship captain, will be at the helm. Twenty-seven women from over a dozen different countries will serve on the first all-female bridge and hotel officer crew.
Just two percent of mariners around the world are women, according to the cruise line.
The initiative is just one of several in recent years honoring women in the travel sector. In July, United sent a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner staffed by women only from Chicago (ORD) to the EAA AirVenture air show in Oshkosh (OSH), as a symbol of the company’s support of women in aviation. The all-female crew was joined by nearly 100 United female employees in areas including Airport Operations, Inflight Services, Flight Operations, Technical Operations, Network Operations and more.
In honor of International Women’s Day 2018, Emirates operated a flight with an all-female crew from Dubai to San Francisco, from the cockpit crew to cabin crew, check-in staff to the ground operators. In 2017, Air India became the first airline to complete a round-the-world trip with an entirely female crew. Flight AI 174 flew from New Delhi (DEL) to San Francisco over the Pacific Ocean and back to Delhi over the Atlantic.
If you’re interested in taking this historic cruise (or any other Celebrity Cruises trip) there is an Amex Offer available that’ll let you score a ton of Membership Rewards points for putting your purchase on the right credit card. The 15,000 bonus points offer is worth $200, according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Celebrity Cruises is offering 15,000 Membership Rewards points after spending at least $500 on purchases from now until December 31, 2019. You must book directly at celebrity.com/amex or by phone to take advantage of the offer. Meeting this spending requirement shouldn’t be too difficult, as I’m seeing an inside stateroom aboard the Celebrity Edge departing from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., starting at just $929 per person for two people.
Featured image courtesy of Celebrity Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.