Man Makes Bomb Threat on Plane Because He Didn’t Like His Seat
Hundreds of passengers on a Norwegian Air flight at Orlando International Airport (MCO) were forced to deplane Sunday night after a male flyer made a hoax bomb threat because he was upset about his seat.
According to the Orlando Police Department, fellow passengers on the plane bound for London overhead the unidentified man make a comment about a bomb because he was unhappy about his seat. Police responded to a call from the plane’s gate (87 at MCO) just as the flight was preparing to close its doors and pull away from the gate.
All 333 passengers and 12 crew members were asked to deplane while officials searched the plane for an explosive device. Authorities say nothing suspicious was found, and passengers were allowed back on for a delayed takeoff to London. The incident began at about 5:52pm and the plane finally took off at 8:35pm, airport officials say.
The man who made the threat was questioned by police and handed over to the FBI for further investigation. Two other passengers were also questioned by law enforcement. It’s not clear if the man was allowed to re-board the plane with the rest of the passengers.
A similar — but far more dramatic — situation occurred on board a United flight. A male passenger who was running late for his flight decided to call in a hoax bomb threat to delay his plane from Cincinnati to Dallas in October 2017. On Thursday, that man was sentenced to four months in prison, three months probation and forced to pay a $7,700 fine as restitution to United.
H/T: Orlando Sentinel
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees