Man Calls in Fake Bomb Threat so He Wouldn’t Miss His United Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all been there — traffic is worse than you expected, or maybe an alarm clock didn’t go off and you find yourself scrambling to the airport late for a flight.
One Ohio man found himself in this predicament and allegedly decided to take extreme measures in an attempt to ensure he didn’t miss his United flight out of Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG). He decided to call in a hoax bomb threat to the airport so he would make his Dallas-bound flight back in October 2017.
Dana Carter, 40, made multiple calls to the airport, claiming there was a bomb on the Dallas-bound flight. The flight ended up being canceled because of the fake threats, and Carter was placed on another flight to Dallas two hours later.
Carter was arrested and sentenced last Thursday to four months in prison. He must also pay United $7,700 as restitution to the airline for the canceled flight. He will remain on probation for three years after his release from prison.
According to Carter’s attorney, calling in the hoax bomb threats was a “foolish act.”
H/T: Fox News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.