Benji Stawski, TPG intern extraordinaire: My 10 favorite TPG stories of 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2019 was an exciting year for credit card refreshes, flight deals, aircraft retrofits and more. As we get ready to usher in the new year, the TPG team is taking a look back on our favorite stories of the last 12 months.
Today, Benji Stawski shares his 10 favorite posts of the year. Benji is a full-time student and contributor for the site, covering all things points, miles, credit cards, travel and aviation.
This was not only one of the best deals of the year, but one of the best deals to Australia most of us will ever see. Although I wasn’t able to take advantage of the deal myself, I’m glad that many TPG readers were.
Thanks to some eagle-eyed AvGeeks in the TPG team, we discovered that Delta’s first retrofitted Boeing 767 would begin operating well ahead of schedule and I was able to snag a seat on its first revenue flight. The IFE wasn’t working, but this was still one of my favorite flights of the year.
Earlier this year, we launched a new video series called “Have Points, Will Travel,” in which we sent videographer Ian Agrimis around the world on some of the most redemption-friendly flights. Every episode is accompanied by a guide that teaches you how to do the same. In this episode, we booked Ian a first-class ticket to Tokyo for less than the cost of a Wagyu sandwich.
As a senior in college myself, I’m a big fan of all of the student-related content on the site. This guide is an excellent starting point for students looking to get into the world of travel rewards credit cards.
Airport lounges have become more accessible than ever thanks to programs like Priority Pass. This piece is a look at my 10 favorite Priority Pass lounges around the world.
Being an Alaska loyalist and from Los Angeles, I frequently visit the Alaska Lounge at LAX, so I was excited that it got a much-needed facelift.
TPG Social Media Editor Samantha Rosen did an amazing job completely revamping our beginner’s guide. It’s always the first article I share with anyone who wants to learn the ins and outs of points, miles, airlines and credit cards.
Nobody’s perfect — even at TPG we make rookie travel mistakes sometimes.
There are a ton of great credit card offers out there, so it can be difficult prioritizing your sign-ups. To help, I started rounding up the best limited-time offers available each month. We saw some great offers this year, with a number of cards offering welcome bonuses of 100,000 points or more.
Staying on a private island is on nearly everyone’s bucket list. In this post, I laid out how you can do so using just your points.
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.