Benji Stawski, TPG intern extraordinaire: My 10 favorite TPG stories of 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2019 was an exciting year for credit card refreshes, flight deals, aircraft retrofits and more. As we get ready to usher in the new year, the TPG team is taking a look back on our favorite stories of the last 12 months.
Today, Benji Stawski shares his 10 favorite posts of the year. Benji is a full-time student and contributor for the site, covering all things points, miles, credit cards, travel and aviation.
This was not only one of the best deals of the year, but one of the best deals to Australia most of us will ever see. Although I wasn’t able to take advantage of the deal myself, I’m glad that many TPG readers were.
Thanks to some eagle-eyed AvGeeks in the TPG team, we discovered that Delta’s first retrofitted Boeing 767 would begin operating well ahead of schedule and I was able to snag a seat on its first revenue flight. The IFE wasn’t working, but this was still one of my favorite flights of the year.
Earlier this year, we launched a new video series called “Have Points, Will Travel,” in which we sent videographer Ian Agrimis around the world on some of the most redemption-friendly flights. Every episode is accompanied by a guide that teaches you how to do the same. In this episode, we booked Ian a first-class ticket to Tokyo for less than the cost of a Wagyu sandwich.
As a senior in college myself, I’m a big fan of all of the student-related content on the site. This guide is an excellent starting point for students looking to get into the world of travel rewards credit cards.
Airport lounges have become more accessible than ever thanks to programs like Priority Pass. This piece is a look at my 10 favorite Priority Pass lounges around the world.
Being an Alaska loyalist and from Los Angeles, I frequently visit the Alaska Lounge at LAX, so I was excited that it got a much-needed facelift.
TPG Social Media Editor Samantha Rosen did an amazing job completely revamping our beginner’s guide. It’s always the first article I share with anyone who wants to learn the ins and outs of points, miles, airlines and credit cards.
Nobody’s perfect — even at TPG we make rookie travel mistakes sometimes.
There are a ton of great credit card offers out there, so it can be difficult prioritizing your sign-ups. To help, I started rounding up the best limited-time offers available each month. We saw some great offers this year, with a number of cards offering welcome bonuses of 100,000 points or more.
Staying on a private island is on nearly everyone’s bucket list. In this post, I laid out how you can do so using just your points.
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees