First look at British Airways’ new first-class seat with sliding door
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with photos of the new seat.
British Airways has unveiled improvements to its first-class seat product, which will be installed on some newly delivered aircraft. And as of Wednesday October 7, we have photos from the inside of the aircraft.
Following the success of its long-awaited Club Suite business-class product, the airline has decided to install a sliding door design in First on newly delivered Boeing 777 aircraft. The airline took delivery of the first of these 777 aircraft earlier this month.
BA took delivery of the first 777 with the new seat on Oct. 2. Registered as G-STBM, the aircraft flew from Everett (PAE) to Heathrow (LHR), according to FlightRadar24.
On Wednesday, the aircraft is set to operate its first commercial service as BA 113 from Heathrow (LHR) to New York (JFK).
The seat closely resembles the design already featured on BA’s Boeing 787-9 and 787-10 aircraft, with the addition of a sliding door to turn a seat into a suite.
The new seat is described as only an “adjustment” on the current design, so it’s not noticeably different — except for the new door.
“The new Club Suite has been so popular with our customers that we made the decision at the start of the year to adjust the First seat on the new 777-300 aircraft to include a door for additional privacy,” British Airways told TPG.
In business class, the cabin has the airline’s new Club Suite product, as all newly-delivered long-haul aircraft BA receives now feature.
While the “hard product” of these new cabins will be an improvement for passengers, for the time being, food and beverage service in First will continue to feature meal boxes rather than elaborate gourmet meals on fine china. It’s unclear how long the reduced soft product offering will continue.
Why is BA taking delivery of new aircraft during a time where it’s retired or parked a large number of its long-haul aircraft, including its entire Boeing 747 fleet? British Airways told TPG that these aircraft were ordered long before the pandemic commenced and its deliveries could not be deferred.
Additional reporting by Emily McNutt.
Featured photo by @v1rotateaviation/Instagram.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees