British Airways set to take delivery of first Boeing 787-10 this week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The newest variant in the Dreamliner family, the -10, will join the ranks of the 787-8 and 787-9 aircraft that are already part of BA’s fleet.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
As reported by Executive Traveller, BA’s first -10 is set to arrive in London on Thursday morning, May 21. The aircraft, which was originally supposed to be delivered in January but was delayed, is now listed as “Ready for delivery” according to the All Things Boeing 787 blog.
Reportedly registered as G-ZBLA, the aircraft took two test flights in the past two weeks — on May 8 and May 13. The May 13 flight departed from Boeing’s North Charleston factory and circled for approximately one hour and 43 minutes over the Atlantic Ocean, according to flight-tracking website FlightRadar24.
The aircraft is the first of 12 787-10s that BA has on order with Boeing. As previously reported, the -10 will feature a four-class configuration: First, Club Suite, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller.
Notably, the -10s will feature eight first-class seats and 48 of the airline’s latest Club Suite business-class product. It’s the first Boeing aircraft to have come delivered with the Club Suite installed, rather than being retrofitted like on some of the carrier’s 777s.
When the airline was set to take delivery of the aircraft earlier this year, it announced that the -10 would first fly to Atlanta (ATL). However, given the current aviation environment amid the coronavirus pandemic, it remains unclear how the airline will utilize the -10s in the near-term.
British Airways did not provide comment on its plans for the rollout of the 787-10 into service.
The 787-10 is the longest of the three Dreamliner family members at 223 ft long. As well as aesthetic and performance differences, the -10 will have even more improved cabin pressure and air quality as well as lower noise. Additionally, this will be the first 787 where BA will have Wi-Fi installed on every aircraft.
Eventually, these aircraft, as well as the existing fleet of 788s and 789s and the new Airbus A350s, will replace BA’s outdated fleet of Boeing 747 aircraft.
Given the uncertain circumstances around aviation in the coronavirus pandemic, many airlines have pushed back deliveries of new aircraft. However, that’s not entirely the case for BA and its parent company International Airlines Group (IAG).
“Given that a number of aircraft are already financed from a cash point of view it makes sense for us to take the aircraft because we will have paid pre-delivery payments, so when we take the aircraft and then put the financing in place, there is actually a cash benefit to us,” IAG CEO Willie Walsh said on the group’s first-quarter earnings call.
That said, the airline is deferring some of its deliveries in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
Featured photo by Eric Piermont/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees