British Airways is canceling 2 US routes in 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is reducing its long-haul route network as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. While the carrier has reduced operations in some areas throughout the year, it’s cancelling 13 long-haul routes entirely from its network as of summer 2021 — including two routes to the U.S.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
In total, the airline has elected to suspend more than 15 routes — including to some popular destinations. Split between North America, South America, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Australia and the Indian Ocean, the cancellations take effect from summer 2021 onwards.
The airline will cancel the following routes permanently as of summer 2021:
- Africa: Durban (DUR)
- Asia: Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Osaka (KIX) and Seoul (ICN)
- Indian Ocean: Seychelles (SEZ; from April 24, 2021)
- Middle East: Abu Dhabi (AUH), Dammam (DMM), Jeddah (JED; some operations will take place during July 2021) and Muscat (MCT)
- North America: Calgary (YYC), Charleston (CHS) and Pittsburgh (PIT)
- South America: Lima (LIM; from Gatwick)
In addition, British Airways will temporarily suspend its routes to Sydney (SYD), Bangkok (BKK) and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) during summer 2021 until 30 October 2021. For SJO, the last service will take place on April 17, 2021.
“We are sorry that, like other airlines, due to the current coronavirus pandemic and global travel restrictions we are operating a reduced and dynamic schedule,” the airline said in a statement. “We will be in touch with any customers whose flights are affected and advise customers to check ba.com for the latest flight information.”
British Airways said that it will refund passengers who don’t want to seek alternative arrangements.
BA announced its route to Pittsburgh (PIT) in 2018, before launching the 787-operated service in 2019. Also in October 2018, the carrier announced that it would begin flying one of its Dreamliners to Charleston, South Carolina (CHS), the city where the Dreamliner is assembled. That route launched in April 2019.
In the first half of this year, British Airways reported losses of almost £4 billion ($5.4 billion). Throughout the year, it’s had to make several cost-cutting measures, including laying off more than 10,000 staff and retiring its entire Boeing 747 fleet earlier than anticipated.
The airline’s CEO Alex Cruz stepped down in October, with Aer Lingus CEO Sean Doyle taking over.
Former IAG CEO Willie Walsh, the owner of British Airways, said that the group doesn’t expect demand to return to pre-pandemic levels until 2023 or 2024.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees