Amtrak launches new passenger cars in the Midwest
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated
Amtrak quietly launched a handful of new passenger cars into service in the Midwest earlier this week, perhaps a preview of the company’s $7.3 billion investment in a new fleet of Siemens trains aimed at modernizing Amtrak service.
Although these new trains are only operational on one route via Amtrak Midwest, these are likely the same trains that will replace most of the Northeast Corridor cars within a few years.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
For now, at least, passengers can only experience four new train cars when traveling Chicago (CHI) – St. Louis (STL). Amtrak expects to continue its rollout throughout the state-supported network route running through the Heartland, which includes additional routes in Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan, as reported by Runway Girl Network.
Amtrak did not respond to a request for comment for this article.
The outlet also said the Midwest fleet of trains includes 54 coach cars and 17 business/coach cars to be rolled out in March 2022 and 17 cafe/coach cars later this year or in early 2023.
“These car bodies will eventually appear system-wide, except on the long-distance trains, including the Empire Builder, Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight,” said Jim Matthews, CEO of the Rail Passengers Association in Washington, D.C.
In July, Amtrak poured $7.3 billion into modernizing 83 new trains for select interstate and Northeast routes. At that time, Amtrak touted updated amenities, including “more comfortable seating, individual power outlets and USB ports, onboard Wi-Fi, enhanced lighting and panoramic windows, larger vestibules, self-service food options, a digital seat reservation system and navigation display systems,” among others.
These updates, in addition to a “glass-enclosed luggage rack” and “dedicated bicycle storage area in every coach” were confirmed by passengers on board and shared on Twitter.
This is a good preview of what’s to come for Amtrak as they continue to modernize the rail experience.
Featured photo by of an Amtrak train at Penn Station on Dec. 16, 2021 by Gabby Jones/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees