This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is adding to the value of its premium credit cards. The issuer announced on Thursday that it’s extending access to the Lufthansa Lounge Program, offering complimentary access when eligible cardholders are traveling through Munich (MUC) or Frankfurt (FRA).
Beginning June 1, premium cardholders (those that hold the Platinum Card from American Express, the Business Platinum Card from American Express or the Centurion Cards) will have access to select Lufthansa lounges. Access varies depending on which of the two German airports you’re traveling through:
Eligible cardholders can access select Lufthansa lounges in FRA’s Terminal 1 Concourse B. More specifically, if you’re flying on a Lufthansa Group flight (Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian) and are a Platinum Cardholder, you’ll get complimentary access to Lufthansa Business Lounges (regardless of ticket class) and Lufthansa Senator Lounges (when flying business class) in T1 Concourse B at FRA.
In addition, Centurion cardholders get complimentary access to Lufthansa First Class, Senator and Business Lounges in FRA’s T1 Concourse B, regardless of ticket class.
Access will only be offered for eligible cardholders between June 1, 2018, and March 31, 2019.
Eligible cardholders can access select Lufthansa lounges in MUC’s Satellite Building of Terminal 2. If you’re flying on a Lufthansa Group flight (Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian) and are a Platinum Cardholder, you’ll get complimentary access to Lufthansa Business Lounges (regardless of ticket class) and Lufthansa Senator Lounges (when flying business class) in the Satellite area of T2 at MUC.
In addition, Centurion cardholders get complimentary access to Lufthansa First Class, Senator and Business Lounges in MUC’s Satellite area of T2, regardless of ticket class.
Thursday’s announcement marks the extension of an existing partnership between Amex and Lufthansa lounges in MUC. Access to the MUC Lufthansa lounges for eligible cardholders will be offered between June 1, 2018, and May 31, 2019.
American Express detailed in its announcement that eligible cardholders will be able to bring in guests at select lounges. However, there will be a fee associated with guest access, which varies based on the specific lounge you’re trying to enter.
In order to get access to any of the lounges available as part of this partnership, you’ll need to show a valid Platinum or Centurion Card, government-issued photo ID and confirmed seat on a Lufthansa Group boarding pass.
Check out these stories for a look inside some of the Lufthansa lounges now offered as part of this partnership:
- Lufthansa First Class Terminal (Frankfurt) vs. First Class Lounge (Munich)
- Lufthansa Senator Lounge (MUC)
- The Most Exclusive Airport Lounges in the World
It’s nice to see Amex expanding its partnership with Lufthansa, allowing eligible cardholders to access select lounges at both MUC and FRA. Previously, the option was only available at MUC. As a reminder, the Platinum and Centurion cards are not only a staple in frequent travelers’ wallets because of the earning potential, but also because of preferred lounge access. Cardholders have access to American Express’ portfolio of Centurion Lounges, as well as Delta SkyClub access when flying with the carrier and a Priority Pass membership.
Featured image by Zach Honig.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees