Amex opens new wellness area in the Houston Centurion Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express Centurion Lounge in Houston is getting an amenity boost.
The issuer is opening a new wellness area inside the 8,500-square-foot lounge on Tuesday that’s designed in partnership with leading mental wellness brand Calm.
The dedicated wellness space in the IAH Lounge will include complimentary access to Calm content, which includes meditation and other sessions focused on sleep and relaxation.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In addition to free access to the Calm content, the new area is stocked with a health and wellness cart that features a wide variety of healthy beverage options, including hot flavored teas, coconut water, blended juices, immune booster drinks and more.
The wellness room is also outfitted with lounge chairs, complimentary neck warmers and design details inspired by the ocean.
Amex’s Houston lounge is on the small side and previously didn’t offer much in the way of amenities. Unlike some of the issuer’s outposts that feature spas and fitness rooms, the Houston location only had a family room on offer.
Now, the lounge is upping the game with a wellness area that’s sure to be a hit with those looking to escape from the hustle and bustle of the airport. (However, families may be disappointed to hear that Amex is repurposing the play area for the Calm wellness room.)
You’ll find the Amex Centurion Lounge in Terminal D at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). The lounge is open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Adding a new wellness area to the Houston location is the issuer’s latest enhancement to the Centurion Lounge network. Amex has continued to build out its network in recent years, opening new locations in New York-JFK and LaGuardia, London Heathrow and Denver during the pandemic, as well as an expanded outpost in Las Vegas.
Amex is also working to open new locations in Washington Reagan National, Newark and Atlanta, as well as renovated spaces in San Francisco and Seattle.
Amex’s investment comes as the credit card lounge wars heat up.
Last year, Capital One opened its first branded airport lounge in Dallas/Fort Worth, with plans to open new locations in Denver and Washington Dulles later this year. Chase is also getting in the lounge game with its first tranche of lounges opening later this year in Boston, LaGuardia and Hong Kong.
Nevertheless, Amex has a nearly 10-year start over its competitors — and it’s continuing to improve its existing locations as well.
Featured photo courtesy of American Express
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees