Americans Are Crazy About the Royal Wedding (According to Airbnb)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The royal wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle is right around the corner, and it seems as though Americans are way more excited about the event than Britons.
Airbnb is expecting more than 42,000 guests to bed down in London between May 18 and May 20, according to a recent report.
Most of the bookings, the peer-to-peer accommodations platform noted, are being made by Americans, who are flooding the city in even greater numbers than out-of-town Brits. French, German and Australian tourists are also making pilgrimages to London for the royal fête.
And a recent YouGov poll indicated that as many as 66% of Brits “don’t care that much” about Saturday’s ceremony. Perhaps Brits just aren’t as enamored with American-born Markle as they are with the Duchess of Cambridge. The Independent reported that the number of applications for celebratory street parties dropped by as much as 92% between the 2011 Royal Wedding and Saturday’s jubilee.
Nonetheless, as many as 100,000 people are expected to crowd the processional routes, according to NBC News. Only 600 individuals, however, received invites to the wedding ceremony at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle.
You don’t have to redeem all of your British Airways Avios to experience the most exciting social event of the year. Watch Prince Harry and Meghan Markle say “I do” on a number of broadcast television stations and live streams.
Unfortunately, if you don’t care all that much about the royal nuptials, there may not be much else to watch on television on Saturday.
Featured image by ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees