American Airlines’ most premier domestic route is finally back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is bringing its swankiest domestic jet back to the skies.
Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve seen airlines make drastic reductions to both domestic and international routes. As the epicenter of the virus, the New York metropolitan area lost many of its flights across all major carriers, including AA’s flagship transcontinental route from JFK to Los Angeles.
American was the most extreme of the U.S. big three, as it grounded its entire fleet of 17 Airbus A321s — dubbed the A321T — dedicated to serving this premium route.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter
Well now, beginning on May 7th, the Fort Worth-based carrier is planning to restart its flagship transcontinental service from JFK to Los Angeles (LAX).
The current flight schedule confirmed by an American spokesperson is one daily round-trip starting on Thursday through June 4. Specifically, the May schedule is as follows:
- LAX — JFK
- AA 2 8:00 a.m. — 4:25 p.m.
- JFK — LAX
- AA 306 5:15 p.m. — 8:40 p.m.
This is great news for those looking for the most exclusive commercial option flying between the coasts. American’s A321Ts sport just 102 seats across three cabins: 10 in first, 20 in business and 72 in coach. AA’s the only carrier to offer a dedicated first-class cabin on the highly competitive route, so if you’re looking to maximize social distancing, Flagship First is your best bet.
In fact, I recently flew the A321T from LAX to JFK; my review will be published next week. I was quite impressed with the amenities and service, and definitely appreciated the exclusivity of the cabin.
Delta, JetBlue and United also offer lie-flat seats on transcon routes. JetBlue’s Mint has been operating between the coasts since the outset of the pandemic, and Delta’s been flying at least one lie-flat-equipped jet daily on the route.
United, on the other hand, downgraded most of these premium routes to Boeing 737s that just sport recliners.
Though AA is starting once-daily JFK-LAX service on Thursday, it’s taking a measured approach to the resumption of its other flagship transcon route, JFK to San Francisco (SFO). Starting two months later on July 7, American plans to fly thrice-daily between JFK-SFO. (American boosts JFK-LAX to thrice-daily on June 5).
Nonetheless, if you have to get across the country and you’re looking for the most luxurious way to do so, this route’s for you.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees