Earn bonus miles on American Airlines award tickets for a limited time – here’s how
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying this fall? If you’re sitting on a stash of American AAdvantage miles, now could be an ideal time to use them.
Typically, you don’t earn any points or miles when redeeming for an airline or hotel award. However, Hyatt bucked that notion when it began a points rebate offer earlier this summer (which has now been extended). Now, American is doing something similar.
American is launching a unique offer to spur award bookings for the month of October. Here are the details on how you can earn bonus miles on award flights.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
From Oct. 1, 2020 through Oct. 31, 2020, AAdvantage members can earn 250 bonus miles for each award segment flown — up to 2,000 miles for the entire promotional period. Advance registration from Sept. 16 through Oct. 7 is required at aa.com.
Granted, that’s not a lot of bonus miles, but consider that these tickets are typically ineligible to earn any miles.
AAdvantage members can always book award travel for anyone, but for the purpose of this offer, only the person flying will receive miles.
Additionally, travel must be completed by Oct. 31, 2020 to qualify for the bonus. For instance, if someone flies their outbound segment on Oct. 31 and returns on Nov. 1, only the segments flown on Oct. 31 would be eligible for miles.
Combining with “Web Special” awards
American notes that you can combine this offer with Web Special awards. That’s great news for flyers since as of this writing, there are some fantastic Web Special offers available.
As TPG first found last week, 5,000-mile Web Special awards in economy have returned for destinations throughout the U.S. There are also opportunities to fly in business class for as little as 15,000 miles — and a bit more for Flagship First.
View this post on Instagram
Is this seat still the most exclusive way to get between the east and west coast? I was super excited to get back in the air during the pandemic — and lucky me, I got to fly JFK-LAX on @americanair Flagship First class. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the health measures, service and (hot!) food onboard.
A post shared by Chris Dong (@thechrisflyer) on
With 5,000-mile awards, a connection through an American hub airport is required. That means it’s even more lucrative with the bonus. Since 250 bonus miles are on a per-segment basis, you’ll get more miles for each connection that you have.
4,500-mile award example
For instance, this flight from New York to Grand Junction via Phoenix in mid-October would price out to just 4,500 AAdvantage miles with the new bonus promotion.
4,250-mile award example
Meanwhile, this flight from Newark to Eugene via Charlotte and Phoenix would cost just 4,250 AAdvantage miles with the new bonus promotion.
Again, these examples are as of this writing and may no longer be available. However, the gist of this bonus miles promotion remains — the more connections you have, the lower the redemption is. Just keep in mind that the maximum you can get back is 2,000 miles.
How to earn more AAdvantage miles
To earn more American miles in the future, consider adding these AAdvantage cards to your wallet.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
This is a unique offer from American to earn miles back from a flight redemption. While not the most lucrative promotion out there — and not nearly as fruitful as Hyatt’s — it’s still a great way to get a bonus if you were already planning on using your miles.
And if your plans change due to the pandemic or otherwise, American is allowing you to cancel your flights booked by Dec. 31, 2020 for no fee — making this deal a way to effectively grab refundable award tickets.
Featured photo by Chris Dong/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees