Deal alert: American’s 5,000-mile Web Special awards are back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting Jan. 1, 2021, earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on airfare per calendar year purchased direct or via Amex Travel with the Amex Platinum card.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
If you’re considering a domestic flight anytime in the months ahead — and have American Airlines miles — take note of this deal.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While American still has a traditional award chart, much of the AAdvantage program consists of variable award pricing (called “Web Specials“) for its own flights. That sometimes works in your favor — especially when there are flights for as low as 5,000 AAdvantage miles one way.
That’s right — dozens of cities are on sale from coast-to-coast from 5,000 miles on American Airlines.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Throughout the U.S., mostly to non-hub and secondary airports with a connection
Cost: From 5,000 AAdvantage miles one way
Dates: Late September 2020 through the end of the booking window
How to book
To book, your best bet will be to do an award search directly on American’s website or use the awesome American Airlines Award Map. With this tool, you can enter your origin and preferred travel dates and leave the destination open as “Continental U.S” to see the full list of 5,000-mile awards.
If you prefer some destination inspiration, you can change it to search only for certain criteria like beach, ski or golf.
From New York-area airports, there are dozens of destinations where awards are pricing at just 5,000 miles each way throughout the fall, winter and well into 2021.
For instance, you can go across the country to Monterey, California for 5,000 AAdvantage miles later this fall.
Planning a winter excursion to hit the slopes in Aspen? That’s also just 5,000 miles for random dates this December.
An escape to a national park more your speed? A flight to Bozeman, Montana (and Yellowstone National Park) is 5,000 miles for next spring.
These are just a few examples but there are many, many cities with pricing from just 5,000 AAdvantage miles.
How to earn more AAdvantage miles
To earn more American miles in the future, consider adding these AAdvantage cards to your wallet.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For months, I had not seen any of the crazy-low, 5,000-mile AAdvantage Web Special deals that had popped up in 2019. But now, it appears they’re back. Keep in mind that every itinerary seems to require a connecting flight to price out at 5,000 miles. However, there are still amazing deals to be had across the country.
And if your plans change due to the pandemic or otherwise, American is allowing you to cancel your flights booked by Dec. 31, 2020 for no fee — making this deal a way to effectively grab refundable award tickets.
Featured photo by James D. Morgan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees