Your favorite AA award tool is back — and better than ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a few weeks offline, the American Airlines award map is back — and it’s got a fantastic improvement.
American Airlines disabled their award-map tool in December for maintenance. It wasn’t exactly clear what that meant, but American Airlines reactivated the tool in early January and there’s a big enhancement that will make finding cheap flights even easier.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As ever, you can enter search parameters such as origin, region of destination, dates, number of passengers, and the number of miles you want to redeem. This is helpful for Economy Web Specials hunters. You can input 5,000 or 6,000 miles into the search bar and the tool will check all routes between your home airport and your desired zone.
The tool helps you find excellent deals with a single click instead of manually searching hundreds of routes. The huge improvement? You can now search for international flights too.
You can choose from the following regions:
- Continental U.S.
- Canada & Alaska
- Mexico & Caribbean
- Central & South America
- Asia Pacific
- Africa & Middle East
You can also search by “interest,” such as:
This opens up the world to deal chasers. Even if your dream vacation spot isn’t available for a low award price, you might find a deal at a nearby airport that you could leverage. For example, you may want to visit Venice, but round-trip flights cost 60,000 American Airlines miles. This tool could reveal a 34,000-mile round-trip to a neighboring city like Zurich. Round-trip flights between Zurich and Venice routinely cost $95, so it could be worth detouring to Zurich and spending $95 to save 26,000 miles.
Remember, you can earn American Airlines miles through credit card welcome bonuses such as:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® — Earn 50,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® — Earn 65,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Let us know what you think of the new tool. And be sure to read our post on how to redeem American Airlines miles.
Featured image by Joseph Hostetler/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees