American Airlines disables useful award tool, promises an updated version soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve wondered where your American Airlines AAdvantage miles could take you, AA had a very useful tool for that. Originally launched in 2013, American’s Award Map let travelers enter an origin, destination region, date and the number of miles to use and the tool would map out all of their options.
This tool was especially helpful during recent widespread Economy Web Special domestic deals. Rather than travelers needing to search each potential destination separately, the Award Map tool would let you visualize all of your options:
This tool was so useful that it made TPG’s list as one of the 5 tips for finding cheap award flights.
But the tool is no longer available. On Thursday, reader Jens B. alerted TPG that the tool had “taken flight”:
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed to TPG that the airline intentionally removed the tool, but the good news is that it’s not gone forever. AA is “updating the award map” and that “it will be available early next year,” the spokesperson said.
Hopefully this tool will return in early 2020 and won’t become another useful tool that’s taken down for “maintenance” and never restored — as happened with the United gift registry.
For now, that leaves AAdvantage award travelers searching the old-fashioned way for awards with AA’s award booking tool. Fortunately, AA has been continually adding new features to its new booking tool. That’s an especially good thing as the new tool can sometimes show better award availability than the legacy tool.
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.