United Discontinues Gift Registry, the Easiest Option for Redeeming Amex Credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Several top American Express cards offer an annual airline fee credit, giving you a fixed allowance for certain airline-related purchases, which officially include things like checked bag fees, inflight purchases and flight change fees.
Annual airline fee statement credits are available with a handful of cards, and break down as follows (enrollment required):
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express (up to $250)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While they aren’t officially permitted, many customers even have success using credits to offset the cost of gift card purchases, though doing so may require jumping through some hoops. Recently, American Airlines gift cards stopped triggering a credit, though, and now United’s gift registry — which had been down for “maintenance” since 2017 — is permanently off the table as well.
Reported by Doctor of Credit (and confirmed on United’s site), the airline has now officially pulled its gift registry, saying “As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com gift registry program. Although you’ll no longer be able to create a new registry or add to your existing one, you can still book travel using the TravelBank balance linked to your current registry until your balance expires.”
The TravelBank itself isn’t going anywhere, however, and any credit you’ve built up will be available until it expires. United even offers a dedicated product for funding this account — the United TravelBank Card — which still remains available. Meanwhile, if you’re hoping to redeem credits for flights, rather than officially supported purchases, your options are now limited to Delta — with a notable caveat — and Southwest.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees