United Discontinues Gift Registry, the Easiest Option for Redeeming Amex Credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Several top American Express cards offer an annual airline fee credit, giving you a fixed allowance for certain airline-related purchases, which officially include things like checked bag fees, inflight purchases and flight change fees.
Credits are available with a handful of cards, and break down as follows:
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express (up to $250)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200)
- American Express® Gold Card (up to $100)
While they aren’t officially permitted, many customers even have success using credits to offset the cost of gift card purchases, though doing so may require jumping through some hoops. Recently, American Airlines gift cards stopped triggering a credit, though, and now United’s gift registry — which had been down for “maintenance” since 2017 — is permanently off the table as well.
Reported by Doctor of Credit (and confirmed on United’s site), the airline has now officially pulled its gift registry, saying “As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com gift registry program. Although you’ll no longer be able to create a new registry or add to your existing one, you can still book travel using the TravelBank balance linked to your current registry until your balance expires.”
The TravelBank itself isn’t going anywhere, however, and any credit you’ve built up will be available until it expires. United even offers a dedicated product for funding this account — the United TravelBank Card — which still remains available. Meanwhile, if you’re hoping to redeem credits for flights, rather than officially supported purchases, your options are now limited to Delta — with a notable caveat — and Southwest.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees