American Airlines Announces 16 New Routes; Returns to Acapulco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is adding two destinations to its route map, part of a 16-route expansion that the carrier announced for its winter schedule.
Half of the new services are domestic routes within the US mainland while the other half connect American’s hubs to destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico. (See full schedule details below)
Three routes are to Mexico, including both new destinations: Acapulco and Huatulco.
American will offer seasonal service to both airports out of its hub at Dallas/Fort Worth, which landed four of the 16 routes announced for the winter schedule. American last flew to Acapulco in 2011, but it has never served Huatulco.
The other two destinations being added to DFW are St. George, Utah, and St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. Both routes will operate year-round, with daily service to St. George and weekend-only service to St. Thomas.
Beyond DFW, Miami and Chicago O’Hare each landed three routes.
From Miami, American is adding domestic service to Columbia, South Carolina; Fayetteville/Bentonville, Arkansas; and Oklahoma City. All three routes will be daily and will operate year-round.
The three additions at Chicago O’Hare include two Caribbean destinations – seasonal routes to St. Lucia and St. Thomas – as well as a year-round domestic mainland route to Charleston, West Virginia.
Schedule details on all 16 of the new routes are below.
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Acapulco, Mexico (ACA): Begins Dec. 21; Two weekly flights (Tuesday/Saturday) on Embraer E175 jets. Seasonal service runs from Dec. 21 through April 4 and resumes June 6 through Aug. 18.
Huatulco, Mexico (HUX): Begins Dec. 21; Two weekly flights (Tuesday/Saturday) on Embraer E175 jets. Seasonal service runs from Dec. 21 through April 4 and resumes June 6 through Aug. 18.
St. George, Utah (SGU): Begins Sept. 26. Daily service on Bombardier CRJ-200 regional jets. Year-round.
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (STT): Begins Dec. 21. Saturday-only service on Boeing 757 jets. Year-round.
Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
Charleston, West Virginia (CRW): Begins Sept. 4. Daily service on Bombardier CRJ-200 regional jets. Year-round.
St. Lucia (UVF): Begins Dec. 21. Saturday-only service on Boeing 737 jets. Seasonal through April 4.
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (STT): Begins Dec. 21. Saturday-only service on Airbus A319 jets. Seasonal through April 4.
Columbia, South Carolina (CAE): Begins Dec. 18. Daily service on Embraer E145 regional jets. Year-round.
Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA): Begins Dec. 18. Daily service on Embraer E175 jets. Year-round.
Oklahoma City (OKC): Begins Dec. 18. Daily service on Embraer E175 jets. Year-round.
Chihuahua, Mexico (CUU): Begins Dec. 18. Daily service on Bombardier CRJ-700 regional jets. Year-round.
Rapid City, South Dakota (RAP): Begins Sept. 4. Daily service on Bombardier CRJ-200 regional jets. Year-round.
Charlotte, North Carolina (CLT)
Grenada (GND): Begins Dec. 21. Saturday-only service on Airbus A319 jets. Year-round.
New York JFK (JFK)
Richmond, Virginia (RIC): Begins Nov. 21. Three flights a day on Embraer E140 regional jets. Year-round.
New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Bermuda (BDA): Begins Dec. 21. Saturday-only service on Boeing 737 jets. Year-round.
Vail/Eagle, Colorado (EGE): Begins Dec. 21. Saturday-only service on Boeing 757 jets. Seasonal through April 4.
Featured image: Robert Alexander/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.