Domestic testing takes off with American’s latest COVID-19 expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last few weeks, American Airlines has offered COVID-19 testing through its partner, LetsGetChecked, giving select passengers access to a $129 at-home PCR test.
Initially, testing was limited to passengers traveling to a handful of destinations, including Belize, Grenada and St. Lucia, plus select Hawaii flights. Now, AA is gearing up to offer LetsGetChecked’s services to a far larger group of travelers.
As of Wednesday, Dec. 9, American will also begin offering test kits to travelers headed to the following domestic destinations with testing requirements:
- New Mexico
- New York state
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- Washington, D.C.
Travelers headed to the destinations above, in addition to eligible international airports, are instructed to order their testing kits five or more days before departure at this dedicated page.
From there, you’ll need to schedule a UPS pickup, activate your test online and collect and return your sample within the required timeframe. Note that some travelers may also need to join an “observation call,” depending on the destination. Results should arrive within 48 hours of the lab receiving your test.
Note that LetsGetChecked requires a $129 payment for each test, though it may be possible to submit your receipt to your insurance provider for reimbursement.
As American Airlines explains, “a negative test result can exempt you from a 14-day quarantine” — however, that isn’t a guarantee. Requirements are constantly evolving, so be sure to check with the city and/or state you’re planning to visit to ensure you’re compliant with current regulations before you board your flight.
Other U.S. airlines have also been experimenting with pre-flight testing options. Delta will begin offering testing to help eligible travelers avoid quarantine requirements at select European destinations beginning later this month, and United recently began a rapid-test trial for London-bound flights from Newark. The carrier has been coordinating testing for select Hawaii-bound flyers as well.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees