United Airlines simplifies COVID-19 screening for passengers headed to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii is getting ready to welcome tourists without a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Maybe for real this time?
The 50th state has pushed back its reopening several times, but the tourism industry is hoping it sticks. As of now, Oct. 15 is the date that tourists will be able to enter with a negative COVID-19 test, and United Airlines is working to help facilitate that process for passengers flying from San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
As part of its latest pandemic-related program, United won’t be administering the tests directly. Instead, the airline is partnering with GoHealth and Color, both of which are approved by the state of Hawaii to administer tests for travelers.
GoHealth Urgent Care has been testing United’s international crew members at SFO since July, and now the company will expand its offering to include Hawaii-bound United flyers. The facility is open from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. daily, and offers rapid tests, with results in 15 minutes. Travelers can make reservations before they arrive — for now, the service costs $250, but the price could fall as capacity increases in the coming weeks.
Alternatively, United flyers can opt for an $80 mail-in test from Color. The airline recommends that travelers begin the process 10 days before their travel, and collect a sample no more than 72 hours in advance of their trip before returning it via overnight mail or a dropbox at SFO. Results will arrive via email and text within 24-48 hours.
United said the move makes it the first U.S. carrier to unveil a COVID testing program for travelers. United also seems to suggest the program could be rolled out more broadly if the Hawaii initiative is successful, saying it “could make it easier for [travelers] to manage quarantine requirements and entry conditions of popular destinations around the world.”
As for Hawaii, United is currently offering daily nonstop service from San Francisco to Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA) and Maui (OGG). The carrier plans to resume daily flights to Kauai (LIH) as well, assuming Hawaii does in fact open to test-wielding tourists on Oct. 15.
Featured photo courtesy of GoHealth and United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees