American Airlines reinforces Hilton Head dominance with new routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is reinforcing its position at the top of the pack in Hilton Head, South Carolina, with new flights to Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth and Philadelphia next spring.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will launch the new seasonal service between its three hubs to Hilton Head (HHH) on March 7, the South Carolina airport said and Diio by Cirium schedules show. Flights on each route will operate once a week on Saturdays with 76-seat Embraer 175 aircraft.
American’s new Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Philadelphia (PHL) flights complement its existing service between Hilton Head and Charlotte (CLT) and Washington National (DCA), according to Diio.
The new flights reinforce American’s leading position in the Hilton Head market. The carrier will be about a third larger than its closest competitor, Delta Air Lines, Diio schedules for the summer of 2020 show.
American will compete with United Airlines to Chicago. The Star Alliance carrier began seasonal Hilton Head flights in March, and will offer them again from next April through September, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said.
Hilton Head joins the likes of Casablanca and Tokyo Haneda with new or additional service from American next year. The carrier has said that it will focus domestic expansion at its Charlotte hub in 2020, following growth at Dallas/Fort Worth this year and a planned expansion in Washington in 2021.
American has yet to provide guidance on its growth plans for 2020. However, the many expect the anticipated re-introduction of the Boeing 737 MAX in January to result in elevated capacity growth at the airline, as well other operators, next year.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.