American Airlines reinforces Hilton Head dominance with new routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is reinforcing its position at the top of the pack in Hilton Head, South Carolina, with new flights to Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth and Philadelphia next spring.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will launch the new seasonal service between its three hubs to Hilton Head (HHH) on March 7, the South Carolina airport said and Diio by Cirium schedules show. Flights on each route will operate once a week on Saturdays with 76-seat Embraer 175 aircraft.
American’s new Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Philadelphia (PHL) flights complement its existing service between Hilton Head and Charlotte (CLT) and Washington National (DCA), according to Diio.
The new flights reinforce American’s leading position in the Hilton Head market. The carrier will be about a third larger than its closest competitor, Delta Air Lines, Diio schedules for the summer of 2020 show.
American will compete with United Airlines to Chicago. The Star Alliance carrier began seasonal Hilton Head flights in March, and will offer them again from next April through September, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said.
Hilton Head joins the likes of Casablanca and Tokyo Haneda with new or additional service from American next year. The carrier has said that it will focus domestic expansion at its Charlotte hub in 2020, following growth at Dallas/Fort Worth this year and a planned expansion in Washington in 2021.
American has yet to provide guidance on its growth plans for 2020. However, the many expect the anticipated re-introduction of the Boeing 737 MAX in January to result in elevated capacity growth at the airline, as well other operators, next year.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees