American Airlines’ new Tokyo schedule includes more premium seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will add more premium seats to Japan next spring with its new flights to Tokyo’s close-in Haneda Airport.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will debut a daily flight between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Haneda (HND) and a second daily flight between Los Angeles (LAX) and Haneda on March 29, American announced Thursday. Both the DFW and LAX flights will replace existing frequencies to Tokyo Narita (NRT), which is significantly further from downtown Tokyo than Haneda.
American will fly its flagship Boeing 777-300ER on the new DFW-Haneda flight. The aircraft has eight first-class, 52 business, 28 premium economy and 216 economy seats. The airline will be the only U.S. carrier operating a first-class cabin between the U.S. and Japan.
On the second LAX-Haneda flight, the carrier will operate a Boeing 787-9 with 30 business-class, 19 premium economy and 234 economy seats.
American’s decision to operate a 777-300ER on the new DFW-Haneda flight represents a nearly two-thirds increase in the number of first-and business-class seats as compared to its existing DFW-Narita flight that it flies with a 777-200. The smaller 777-200 only has 37 business-class seats.
Tickets for the new flights to Haneda go on sale on Monday (Sept. 30).
The U.S. Department of Transportation awarded American the two Haneda flights as part of 12 new flights made available to U.S. carriers from 2020. Delta Air Lines received five, Hawaiian Airlines one and United Airlines four of those flights.
The new frequencies to Haneda are part of an effort by the Japanese government to increase capacity to Tokyo ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics that begin in July.
From March, American and its partner Japan Airlines (JAL) will offer nonstop service between Tokyo Haneda and Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO), according to current Diio by Cirium schedules.
The Japanese government is expected to award JAL some of the 12 new U.S.-Haneda flights that are also being made available to Japanese carriers.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees