American Airlines adds 4 routes, new destination in latest regional expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Small regional airports are big winners in American’s latest adjustment to its network.
The Fort Worth-based carrier will load four new flights over the weekend, two of which connect to a new dot on its route map, according to American spokesperson Nichelle Barrett.
Columbus, Georgia (CSG) — the new destination — lands service from two of American’s largest hubs, Charlotte (CLT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). Both flights will be operated by regional aircraft, a CRJ-700 from CLT and a CRJ-900 from DFW.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Despite technically being branded as a new destination, AA last served Columbus nearly a decade ago. Cirium schedules show that American flew two daily flights between DFW and CSG from July 2010 to June 2013, before pulling out of the city entirely. That left Delta as the sole carrier serving CSG, with multiple daily flights from its Atlanta fortress hub.
Now, the two rivals will go head-to-head for traffic, as both will funnel local passengers through their respective hubs to other domestic and international destinations.
Elsewhere, American is adding service to two existing cities. The first, El Paso, Texas (ELP), will get a new route from Charlotte, bringing American’s total number of nonstop options to five. American will deploy a Boeing 737-800 for the 1,482-mile flight.
The carrier already serves ELP from four hubs, Chicago (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Phoenix (PHX), per Cirium schedules. By adding Charlotte, the carrier can blanket El Paso with plenty of connectivity across the country.
More AA growth: 17 new routes for the summer
Upstate New York is also getting a new AA route. The carrier’s American Eagle subsidiary will connect Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Syracuse (SYR) with an Embraer 175. This also technically represents a service resumption for American, as Cirium schedules show American last flew the route from August 2005 to September 2008.
DFW will become the carrier’s longest flight from Syracuse. In addition to DFW, the carrier has flights scheduled to Boston (BOS), Charlotte (CLT), Chicago (ORD), Philadelphia (PHL) and Washington Reagan National (DCA).
With a new flight to DFW, the carrier can offer broader connectivity for Syracuse-based flyers heading to points across the country, as well as those booking short- and long-haul international trips.
The new routes will be available for sale on May 3, and they all launch on Aug. 17.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees