American Airlines’ Phoenix Hub is Still Growing; Carrier Adds 3 New Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will add new seasonal service from its Phoenix hub to two cities in the US heartland plus New Orleans this winter.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will add daily service to Cedar Rapids (CID), Iowa; New Orleans (MSY) and Wichita (ICT), Kansas, from on Dec. 18, reports the Phoenix Business Journal and confirmed by American. The first two routes will operate through April 6 and the latter through May 6.
American will use Airbus A319s for the New Orleans service and Bombardier CRJ900s for Cedar Rapids and Wichita.
The new routes are the latest additions by American in Phoenix. The airline added flights to Raleigh/Durham (RDU), North Carolina, in May and will begin service to Rapid City (RAP), South Dakota, in September. Flights to Chihuahua (CUU), Mexico, launch in December.
The airline is also adding seats in Phoenix with the introduction of its new Airbus A321neo that, with 196 seats, is American’s densest narrowbody. The company began flying the aircraft to Orlando, Florida, in April and has scheduled it on flights to cities including Anchorage, Alaska (ANC); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Washington Reagan National (DCA).
American plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% in 2019. Phoenix capacity is scheduled to increase 2.9%, according to Diio by Cirium data.
On the competitive front, Southwest Airlines also serves New Orleans and Wichita from Phoenix while Allegiant Air serves Cedar Rapids and Wichita from nearby Phoenix/Mesa (AZA), Diio data shows.
Featured photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.