American Airlines’ Phoenix Hub is Still Growing; Carrier Adds 3 New Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will add new seasonal service from its Phoenix hub to two cities in the US heartland plus New Orleans this winter.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will add daily service to Cedar Rapids (CID), Iowa; New Orleans (MSY) and Wichita (ICT), Kansas, from on Dec. 18, reports the Phoenix Business Journal and confirmed by American. The first two routes will operate through April 6 and the latter through May 6.
American will use Airbus A319s for the New Orleans service and Bombardier CRJ900s for Cedar Rapids and Wichita.
The new routes are the latest additions by American in Phoenix. The airline added flights to Raleigh/Durham (RDU), North Carolina, in May and will begin service to Rapid City (RAP), South Dakota, in September. Flights to Chihuahua (CUU), Mexico, launch in December.
The airline is also adding seats in Phoenix with the introduction of its new Airbus A321neo that, with 196 seats, is American’s densest narrowbody. The company began flying the aircraft to Orlando, Florida, in April and has scheduled it on flights to cities including Anchorage, Alaska (ANC); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Washington Reagan National (DCA).
American plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% in 2019. Phoenix capacity is scheduled to increase 2.9%, according to Diio by Cirium data.
On the competitive front, Southwest Airlines also serves New Orleans and Wichita from Phoenix while Allegiant Air serves Cedar Rapids and Wichita from nearby Phoenix/Mesa (AZA), Diio data shows.
Featured photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees