American Airlines’ Phoenix Hub is Still Growing; Carrier Adds 3 New Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will add new seasonal service from its Phoenix hub to two cities in the US heartland plus New Orleans this winter.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will add daily service to Cedar Rapids (CID), Iowa; New Orleans (MSY) and Wichita (ICT), Kansas, from on Dec. 18, reports the Phoenix Business Journal and confirmed by American. The first two routes will operate through April 6 and the latter through May 6.
American will use Airbus A319s for the New Orleans service and Bombardier CRJ900s for Cedar Rapids and Wichita.
The new routes are the latest additions by American in Phoenix. The airline added flights to Raleigh/Durham (RDU), North Carolina, in May and will begin service to Rapid City (RAP), South Dakota, in September. Flights to Chihuahua (CUU), Mexico, launch in December.
The airline is also adding seats in Phoenix with the introduction of its new Airbus A321neo that, with 196 seats, is American’s densest narrowbody. The company began flying the aircraft to Orlando, Florida, in April and has scheduled it on flights to cities including Anchorage, Alaska (ANC); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Washington Reagan National (DCA).
American plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% in 2019. Phoenix capacity is scheduled to increase 2.9%, according to Diio by Cirium data.
On the competitive front, Southwest Airlines also serves New Orleans and Wichita from Phoenix while Allegiant Air serves Cedar Rapids and Wichita from nearby Phoenix/Mesa (AZA), Diio data shows.
Featured photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.