American Airlines joins Delta in welcoming all customers on COVID-tested flights to Italy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to American, it “has offered customers quarantine-free flights from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to Milan (MXP) since April 2 and on flights from JFK to Rome (FCO) as of May 8. With the recent change in Italy’s travel restrictions, any customers, whether traveling for leisure or essential business, are eligible to fly on American’s flights from New York to Italy starting May 16.”
While previously only available to those traveling for essential reasons, these flights now open the door to those itching to vacation in Italy.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To take advantage of these quarantine-free flights, you need to provide negative results from the required COVID-19 test before you fly. Upon landing in either Milan or Rome, you’ll take a rapid test at the airport. As long as you receive a negative result, you won’t need to quarantine in Italy. (If you test positive or arrive without test results, you are required to quarantine for 14 days.)
This differs from Delta’s policy, which requires an additional rapid test taken at the airport just before boarding. The federal U.S. policy requiring that all passengers, 2 years of age and older, traveling to the U.S. from a foreign country must show a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken within 72 hours of departure before being allowed to board their flights remains in effect.
The move comes after Italy announced on Friday that it’s ready to welcome all travelers flying on a COVID-tested flight from the U.S., Canada, Japan and the United Arab Emirates. The policy change is effective from May 16 through July 30, per the Italian health ministry.
As travel restrictions to Europe begin to ease, the airlines are ramping up their schedules to accommodate travelers this summer. American offers daily flights between New York-JFK and Milan as well as three-times-weekly flights to Rome-FCO.
If you’re flying from Dallas, American offers four-times-weekly service to Rome-FCO. While those flights aren’t quarantine-free right now, American expects they will transition to that option in a matter of days.
United doesn’t currently offer COVID-tested flights to Italy.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees