American Airlines adds free inflight Apple TV+ streaming
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines flyers will have one more entertainment option the next time they take to the skies.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier has quietly expanded its partnership with Apple. Beginning Aug. 1, American now offers free inflight streaming of Apple TV+ shows, an airline spokesperson confirmed with TPG.
This new streaming option is available to every flyer with a Wi-Fi capable device on flights that feature internet access. However, you don’t need to pay for internet in order to stream — you’ll just need the AA app on your phone or tablet or visit aainflight.com on your laptop.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter!
Plus, if your flight is equipped with seat-back entertainment, you’ll find a selection of Apple Originals preloaded on the screen. Just note that fewer and fewer AA planes have TVs, so you’ll definitely want to BYOD (bring your own device.) Fortunately, most jets have power outlets and/or USB ports, and the carrier is working to install even more outlets on other planes.
The ability to stream Apple TV+ is exclusive to American Airlines. In fact, this new feature builds upon the airline’s existing relationship with Apple.
In Feb. 2019, the two companies joined forces to offer free inflight Apple Music streaming. This service is limited to AA’s ViaSat-equipped domestic flights and requires an Apple Music subscription. But it offers free Wi-Fi access to Apple Music streaming without purchasing an internet package.
Whereas Apple Music streaming requires a subscription, the new Apple TV+ partnership doesn’t. That’s great news for someone who’d like to enjoy a show or two without a commitment.
This new tie-up isn’t necessarily helpful for those who already have an Apple TV+ subscription. That’s because existing subscribers can download shows for offline viewing. So if you already have your shows downloaded, you can watch them anywhere, anytime — regardless of airline.
But if you didn’t have time to download your favorite show before boarding, then you’ll likely be relieved that American and Apple have you covered.
To view what’s playing on your flight, you can visit American’s dedicated inflight entertainment page. After inputting your flight details, you can get a sense for what to expect onboard.
For now, the titles available are:
- The Morning Show
- Defending Jacob
- For All Mankind
- Home Before Dark
- Little America
- Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet
- Oprah’s Book Club
- Snoopy in Space
American rotates the selection of movies and TV shows each month, and a spokesperson confirmed that it’ll do the same with Apple TV+ content. That’s great news since Apple keeps debuting new shows.
It’s great to see American continue to invest in inflight entertainment options, even if the carrier no longer sees value in offering seat-back screens. In addition to Apple TV+, you can stream a selection of movies and TV shows, including HBO series, on AA flights. Note, however, that this new tie-up comes just as AA temporarily suspended live TV streaming.
Either way, the next time you take to the skies, you’ll have an exciting new entertainment option.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees