American Airlines Announces Its Final MD-80 Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has announced the retirement plans for its McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 fleet, signaling the end of an era at the carrier.
On Sept. 3 and 4, American’s 26 remaining MD-80s will all conduct their final flights.
The very last one, Flight 80 from Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago O’Hare, will land in the Windy City around 11:30am on Sept. 4, before joining its sister aircraft in Roswell, New Mexico. (A note to our readers: that flight appears to be sold out.)
“The MD-80, also known as the Super 80, was the workhorse of the airline’s fleet throughout the 1980s and beyond, providing customers and team members with heartfelt memories on adventures ranging from family vacations to key business trips,” the airline said in its press release.
As planes get more efficient though, the MD-80 is being replaced by jets that burn less fuel and have new amenities, making them cheaper for airlines to operate and more appealing for passengers to fly on. American has also been working on standardizing its fleet.
Stay tuned to TPG for our coverage of the fleet’s retirement.
Featured photo by Etienne DE MALGLAIVE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.